Remove transmission fluid from dipstick tube

Elessee

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The plastic bushing on this throttle kickdown / TV cable finally failed, so to be brief, I've spent time on the transmission. The fluid is at least 150,000 miles old, it's dark but it isn't burnt or bad smelling.. Hang a magnet in it overnight, and there's a little bit of very fine metal dust. Anyways, I'd like to change it out, over time.

The plan is to replace about a quart, once a month. That will slowly dilute the 12 quarts of old fluid with new stuff, without any "shock to the system".
Problem is this dipstick tube seems to have a very small constriction near the bottom.
I used sewing thread to attach a 1/4" OD rubber hose to the dipstick, and stuck it down in there. The hose still got stuck. The sewing thread had been chewed up as if it rubbed against something sharp. And when pulling the hose/dipstick out, there was always a vacuum / sucking sound as if it was air-tight..

I managed to pump out about half a quart, but it was a real pain... I'll try a thinner hose, like 3/16" from a hardware store. Meanwhile, I was wondering if there's a better, easier way to remove some fluid (without getting dirty).

I would call the nearest transmission shop and tell them that you ONLY want your fluid changed.
The dirtiest that your hands will get would be from paying in cash... using lots of small bills.

When the Throttle Valve control cable fell off, there was suddenly lots of shifting problems. I panicked and called AAMCO. That guy said be prepared for a $2000+ complete rebuild.
But I calmed down, and studied a little. The symptoms were very much like those of a disconnected TV cable. Then I learned about the notorious plastic grommet.. famous for disintegrating over time.
Popped the hood and lookie there... The cable end is disconnected from the throttle bracket.

After fixing that, I felt a little guilty about neglecting this car. Jiffy Lube wants around $100 for a "change" which I think is 4 quarts and a new filter. The "purge" which includes draining the torque converter and the oil cooler should get all of it, but that's $250.

Then I am reading about the potential dangers of completely removing all old fluid from an older tranny. Some people experienced severe slipping in all gears due to the brand new fluid. Evidently the bands and clutches need the extra friction provided by that old, dirty fluid.

Stay away from All Automatics Must Come Out and those Iffy Lube places!
Find a good (or the best) independent transmission shop in town. Ask the other independent (not chain) shops where they send their transmission work to.

Yeah, I'm with ya... Never used these outfits before. The last 2 years is the first time in my life I have no garage or shop to work on cars. It's "Not allowed" here. And it's a strange town, but I'll get up to speed... eventually.

Members online

No members online now.
Back