Remove speaker covers?

Janobala

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
as you can see.. the metal speaker covers arent in the best shape. is there a simple way to remove them? or would i have to take the whole door panel off? IMG_4854.jpgIMG_4855.jpgIMG_4856.jpgIMG_4857.jpgIMG_4858.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4858.jpg

you need to remove the door panel off. It's not that difficult to remove, there are screws hidden in the handle and screws in the bottom and in the side.

It's being held up by plastic screws so when you pull it out, pull it straight out otherwise you'll break them.

no i dont want to do anything with speakers, i need to clean up my speaker grills, they have rust on them, and yes they are on the speakers in the back... picture^^^^

I don't think there's a grill there but if you want to remove the speakers, it's fairly involved. Removing the bolster seats, the trim and the carpeting...

Different years/trim levels had and didn't have grills over the rear subs. My 04 has no sub grills, they just fire through the cloth. My 06 does have grills.
Yes, removing the rear package shelf is kind of involved. I suspect that removing the shelf is the only way to get to the grills to remove them in such a way that they can be reinstalled.

Same thing on the back door panels. Word of warning on the rectangular screw covers - at least on the rear door, the covers are hinged on the bottom. Use a screwdriver to pop it loose across the top of the cover, and it will swing down to expose the screws. If you try to pop from the side or the bottom, the cover will break. I learned the hard way.

Nice thing though, the cover also only has the plastic screws around the outside border with plastic guides instead of retainers in the middle, with metal screws providing the holding force in the middle, and the panel pulls straight out. This is unlike others like my truck, where the cover fits over an edge at the top and has pull clips in the middle which require more care when removing the panel.

no i dont want to do anything with speakers, i need to clean up my speaker grills, they have rust on them, and yes they are on the speakers in the back... picture^^^^

I just realized the 2nd picture is the rear deck grill. Did you try peeking from below the trunk? There's a cover that you need to take out first (secured by push pins only) you might be able to pop it from there but I'm not sure, my LS doesn't have that. If not then it's going to be the hard way.

well thanks for your help everybody, i was mainly just wondering if this was something easy to be done, if i could pop them off simply i would take them to my shop class and sandblast them. even if they're painted(i dont know for sure if they're painted or if that's the natural metal color) i just dont feel like doing all that panel removing just to clean my speaker grills, not in the winter especially, i will wait awhile until im ready to really start fixing the LS up. be a couple months. thanks again though.

yeah, most metals (at least the ones used in cars) are not naturally tan, they are usually silver, as Joe mentioned, they are painted.

from the looks of it, you have an unusual amount of moisture in your car to cause that amount of rusting. do you have a sun roof? if so, you may want to take more apart and check your drain tubes to see if they have come disconnected (like they are known to do).

you need to remove the door panel off. It's not that difficult to remove, there are screws hidden in the handle and screws in the bottom and in the side.

It's being held up by plastic screws so when you pull it out, pull it straight out otherwise you'll break them.

Appears moisture has caused discoloration. Soak in 70/30 mixture of bleach/water for an hour. Rinse real good. Paint your desired look. Clear or a different color. Show us pics when done!

Might try a spray bottle with bleach mixture and lightly spray, remembering there is a paper speaker behind there rather than removal of panel. Use a soft toothbrush to help clean. Mask off good then paint with a light coat if needed.

Last edited:
Yes there is moisture in the car but the tubes were repaired a few years ago by a body shop. It only seems to be around the passanger seat floor. And in the trunk. Sometimes there will be a lot of water in the deep part of the drunk where the battery is. Enough that there's puddles down in there. Could that be contributing to moisture maybe? Because I know the seal between the back seats and truck isn't air tight, maybe it's making the atmosphere in the car be moisturized.

... Because I know the seal between the back seats and truck isn't air tight, maybe it's making the atmosphere in the car be moisturized.

There's no seal between the trunk and the cabin. In fact, specifically there are vents between the two. The LS is designed for air circulation between the cabin and the trunk. This is why it is very important to only use a battery with a vent tube connection. Any explosive and/or corrosive gases from the battery can make it into the cabin.

I just wonder how all that water keeps getting Into the trunk, the seals all seem fine and the carpeting in the trunk is never wet there's just water in there like underneath the spare tire. I can post a pic when I get home

I just wonder how all that water keeps getting Into the trunk, the seals all seem fine and the carpeting in the trunk is never wet there's just water in there like underneath the spare tire. I can post a pic when I get home

Are any of your drain plugs missing? Maybe it is splashing up in there when you are driving.
Other sources:
Trunk lid gasket.
Tail lights.
Sun roof rear drain tubes. (They run on the sides of the trunk down to exit ports near the rear of the trunk. One of the hoses may have pulled out of the port.)

Initially though we thought it was getting up in there during a chassis bath but that doesn't seem to be the case because the water will just get in there when the car is sitting. So if the rear drain tubes came off would it leak down into the trunk like that? That is probably the case if it will leave I to the trunk there.

Only thing is I never find any wet carpet or anything in the trunk just the water in the lower part, it's very odd, but I will look into the rear draining hoses for sure, that does make sense for getting water in trunk

Check the trunk seal as well. Mine was leaking water into the trunk, and my trunk seal looked perfect. After searching on this board I found that there is a problem with water somehow wicking under the seal into the trunk. The fix is to remove the trunk lid seal, then put silicone seal in the trunk lid seal gap, then reinstall. Since doing this my trunk stays dry.

Members online

Back