Removal of those %&*#$@# headrests

katz_blk90se

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Fellas, I am trying to take the itty bitty headrests out of my 90 SE
and replace it with the the big boys found in the eighties models. Has someone found an easy way to take those bastards out? Asides from losing their temper and ripping the leather seats to pieces. I searched my entire garage to find a long skinny flexible piece of metal to slide down the front with no luck. Did bend a lot of potential pieces though. Also tried to go from underneath behind the seat with no luck. Just aint enough room to manuever the hands and any tools, plus I dang near pulled my arm out of its socket trying to get my hands up there...I know someone out here in M7 land has found an easy way to unlock the metal piece. Why in the the heck did Lincoln make them so hard to get out anyway? Mechs at the shop probably have a handy dandy little specialty metal bar to remove em in 30 seconds while they charge me 65 dollars an hour to drink day old coffee in the waiting room..alright...I am venting..sorry fellas...please help......Katz

A slim jim is ideal for this. If you look below the headrest, where it enters the top of the seat, there is a plastic "ring" that surrounds it and covers the seat material. It is a sheath that runs down into the seat and has a small nub on it to hold the headrest in the seat. If you can't get anything down in there, I would suggest pulling the backing off of the seat carefully. Then it is easily accessible. Good luck.

Finally got em off...took a 10 inch screwdriver coming up from underneath and behind the seat. Seats look much much better with the sport headrests. Not only that, but
they protect more of the brain housing in the event of an accident. The small ones will go up in the attic with the rest of the LSC back up goodies. In case anyone is interested, I have a near mint condition SPECIAL EDITION emblem looking for a new home on eBay. Here is the URL:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7940025862&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT

Congratulations on the swap.
I agree that the pre-1990 headrests are VERY OldSchool and safer and cooler because they also tilt forward on my 1988 and 1989. The 1984s look just like my 1990s.

I just used a sheet of aluminum (roof flashing) cut 1" strip and shoved it doen....came right out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back