Remote

Tomas

LVC Member
Reaction score
While I am fixing things, the remote for my Lincoln LS doesn't unlock the doors, but the key does and so does the switch on the driver's door panel. The LOCK button works fine, as do the OPEN TRUNK and the ALARM buttons. Can this be repaired inexpensively, or do I need to cough up 50 bucks American for a new remote?

Last edited:
Since you have a first gen, you need Forscan to program it. The PC version is free, but you need a $20 OBDII adapter to use it.

So if I am understanding Joe's post correctly. I can download Forscan, get the adapter and then program RKE remotes for my Gen 1 V-6?

They're like 20 some odd bucks on RockAuto also, 50 bucks in auto parts stores.

While I am fixing things, the remote for my Lincoln LS doesn't unlock the doors, but the key does and so does the switch on the driver's door panel. The LOCK button works fine, as do the OPEN TRUNK and the ALARM buttons. Can this be repaired inexpensively, or do I need to cough up 50 bucks American for a new remote?

Many of you are far more knowledgeable than I in these matters - am I the only one wondering if the problem is with the Driver's Door Module, not the fob?

Many of you are far more knowledgeable than I in these matters - am I the only one wondering if the problem is with the Driver's Door Module, not the fob?

It's possible, but the remote itself is the more frequent failure. If he had two remotes, and both stopped working at the same time, then the receiver in the DDM would be the better suspect. However, he said "the remote," which implies that he only has one. He also indicates that the other DDM functions are working correctly.

If that were the case, would it still lock, but not unlock?

If that were the case, would it still lock, but not unlock?
Yeah, I forgot about that. That really points to it being that switch on the remote that has failed. I have experienced that.

I am NOT dragging my desk top computer from the 4th floor down to the parking garage, so I contacted several automotive locksmiths on a price for programming two fobs. The results were:

Key Masters: We charge 65.00 for the first and 45.00 for the second. That would be $110.00.

Noble Locksmith: We charge $69 for the first and $20 for each additional if you bring the vehicle to our store. That would be $89.00 plus fuel.

Continental Locksmiths: It's $80 for the programming. That's the price of programming only for both fobs. If you provide the fobs. That would be $80.00

Last edited:
I am NOT dragging my desk top computer from the 4th floor down to the parking garage, so I contacted several automotive locksmiths on a price for programming two fobs. The results were:

Key Masters: We charge 65.00 for the first and 45.00 for the second. That would be $110.00.

Noble Locksmith: We charge $69 for the first and $20 for each additional if you bring the vehicle to our store. That would be $89.00 plus fuel.

Continental Locksmiths: It's $80 for the programming. That's the price of programming only for both fobs. If you provide the fobs. That would be $80.00
No friends with a laptop? You can prolly buy a used one cheaper than the locksmith,

The larger public libraries often have a laptop loaner program.

Okay, the Continental Locks guy failed. I don't think he knew what he was doing. He hooked his machine to the data port, but then he turned the ignition on and off eight times and pushed the lock button on the new remote, which I had already been told would not work on my car. I will try the next lock & key place on the list, the one that wants me to come to him.

Okay, the Continental Locks guy failed. I don't think he knew what he was doing. He hooked his machine to the data port, but then he turned the ignition on and off eight times and pushed the lock button on the new remote, which I had already been told would not work on my car. I will try the next lock & key place on the list, the one that wants me to come to him.
now that I'm thinking about it I bought a new remote off a RockAuto and I don't think I used forscan to program it, I think I did the ignition eight times and something else, some kind of sequence but I forget exactly what, been a few months now, ha! Mines a 2003

now that I'm thinking about it I bought a new remote off a RockAuto and I don't think I used forscan to program it, I think I did the ignition eight times and something else, some kind of sequence but I forget exactly what, been a few months now, ha! Mines a 2003

You can do that on a 2nd gen (2003 - 2006), but not on a 1st gen (2000 - 2002).

Getting ready to use the Forscan and adapter to program 2 additional RKE fobs on our Gen 1 LS. Is the procedure pretty easy to follow on the computer or are there any special "tricks" to know about for this procedure? I just do not want to mess anything up, this LS is running like a real sweetheart right now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back