Remote start

OchoMarko

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Since its so damn cold this year I was thinking of installing a remote start to help with morning warm ups. Does anybody have this done to their Mark Viii? Any recommended brand to buy?

My mark has a bulldog it sucks but it works
Had a viper on my t-bird loved it had great range
I also like Compustar
And like green machine said how cold is it really

when I used to drive it in the winter and let it warm up in the morning it always sucked down gas, and never got the engine warm. always thought it was kind of pointless.

By Sunday eve, we are goning to have a fresh 12" blanket of nice new snow and windchills hovering around minus -33 below zero.

Thats not as bad as it can get....I remember back in 52 when it snowed in July...:D

you know its cold, when, you spit, and it bounces..:eek:

My dad got my mom one of those remote start kits for her '97 30th anniversary Cougar about 3 Christmases ago and we have yet to install it. We're lazy bums around here don'tchaknow?

My dad got my mom one of those remote start kits for her '97 30th anniversary Cougar about 3 Christmases ago and we have yet to install it. We're lazy bums around here don'tchaknow?

don't most places install it for free when you buy it. probably to late now

don't most places install it for free when you buy it. probably to late now

Nah. He bought this one from Wally World. And it's a serious undertaking to install it. Maybe we'll get to it someday. She never drives the Cougar anymore. So if it does get installed, it'll go in her '08 'Stang convertible. My mon's lucky:D

I have been considering this option as well since i dont even have the key fob for my 97. At Best Buy you can get a keyless entry / remote start for $150 installed. Im sure there will be a catch tho, can hear it already...well we had to use this unit since you have the blah blah and bypass the blah blah...now it will cost $450...

Since its so damn cold this year I was thinking of installing a remote start to help with morning warm ups.

Long as you leave your heater running when you shut the car off the night before.

Does anybody have this done to their Mark Viii?

You didn't search, did you... tsk tsk tsk.

Any recommended brand to buy?

Most of the big names (Clifford, Python, Viper, Autostart, :blah: :blah: :blah:) are all made by DEI (Directed Electronics Inc.), so in the end, no. It doesn't really matter. The guts between all the big ones are pretty much the same.

Had a Viper one in the 5spd GeoCrapper, I loved leavin it in 1st... She would try to use the auto start and the car would jump and die...rofl
(yes I bypassed the clutch safety switch)

+1 to Frog's stuff.
I've got a Compustar 2-way in mine. It's does everything from start, to the windows, to the defrost, full alarm etc. Took a bit to install, but wiring diagrams and the12volt.com are a lot of help...

Had a bicron unit thing was bad a$$ but it kill the battery in like 2 weeks though

i have a zenisis, it looks nice and has some unique features, but the buld quality on the remote aint :q:q:q:q. i should have picked a viiper

here is a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3shb41W_t4

........uh isnt that a just complicated version of the keypad on the door?

ive seen and removed alot of remote starts, 12 years dealership experience. all i can say is buy a real one, if it comes from walmart/autozone/pep boys etc throw it in the trash. if you have PATS be prepared to spend 300 or so

Surprisingly, the longest lasting remote start I had (other than this one now) was a $40 cheapy from Canadian Tire I bought and used in two different cars for about ten years before one of the built in relays died. I could have fixed it but got rid of the second car so never bothered. :D

I work at a stereo shop and we are installing about 4 a day between the two of us. Lets just say you get what you pay for. Yes there are cheap ones but They will most likely stop working within a year if your lucky. We use directed brands mostly astrostart and clifford I have a 50.7 on mine which is the keyless/security and start. But depending on which year mark you have will depend on if you need a transponder bypass for the pats system. I think 95 was the last year it did'nt need one. So you may get lucky and just need the remote start which you can get a decent one for fairly cheap.

I've got a viper 2 way alarm/start/window...etc. works great, I've installed many different brands but only directed products on my own cars.
He's right about the pats system, you'll need a bypass module if you have it and you'll lose one of your keys. Make sure you get a spate before you have it installed.
If you do have pats you'll be looking at $160-200 on top of the remote start price which usually includes basic labor.

........uh isnt that a just complicated version of the keypad on the door?

ive seen and removed alot of remote starts, 12 years dealership experience. all i can say is buy a real one, if it comes from walmart/autozone/pep boys etc throw it in the trash. if you have PATS be prepared to spend 300 or so

Yes in a way. but it can disarm or arm your alarm if you break your remote or if the batt. dies. it can also call your remote, if you lose it in the house somewhere or something like that.

...He's right about the pats system, you'll need a bypass module if you have it and you'll lose one of your keys. Make sure you get a spate before you have it installed.
If you do have pats you'll be looking at $160-200 on top of the remote start price which usually includes basic labor.

You can get Pats bypasses that don't use keys...

Yes in a way. but it can disarm or arm your alarm if you break your remote or if the batt. dies. it can also call your remote, if you lose it in the house somewhere or something like that.

yeah i get it, kinda, it just seems like the same thing except for the page your keys function. but i don t loose my keys so that isnt a problem. i just think its odd the process you have to go through to lock it. why do you need the code to lock the car it should be more like the stock system, just hit 2 buttons and bam! locked.

Members online

Back