Remote key fob: reprogrammable?

Jody John Sakstrup

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My 1991 DeVille Touring Sedan's remote door lock/unlock/trunklid fob and receiver are on the blink: From close distance, it sends a signal to lock or unlock (per the button that is being pressed) as I can hear the receiver behind the glovebox clicking away (so I surmise the signal is being sent, and received) but the door isn't then actually unlocking or locking as its being told to do from the fob. The car just stays locked until I just manually use the round key in a door lock, the old fashioned way. This is with or without the engine running or retained accessory power being utilized.

But get this: the signal IS sent and it obeys (to lock, unlock, or open trunk)when I'm sitting inside, engine running, all doors closed. Cut the engine, and its on the blink again. Weird, huh? Also, the door lock/unlock buttons at any door station don't work if a door is open, and the alarm/twilight sentinel feature is also inop.

Dealership service says the RKE module is inop, needs to be replaced at $400 total. Yikes! Anyone know of a quick fix to perhaps simply "reprogram" the settings in the fob or the RKE module behind the glovebox? Or is it a fuse or something else? The batteries are new in the keyfob btw.

Your help is so appreciated by this one in Hollywood, CA. :Bang :feedback

how hard are they to rip out of the car? Maybe you can find an undamaged one in a wrecker and just have you keypad programmed to react with the one out of the old car? Just a thought

I'll check it out...

That might very well be feasible...I'm going to ask the technician at the dealership if a weekend mechanic like me could r&i a totally seperate one, or just pay him on the side to do so. I didn't even think of doing that...Thanks!

The keyless entry modules are located above the glove box on Devilles of that era, very easy to get to. Retangular black box with a sticker that says TRW on it. I would suggest checking the fuses, and since you have a 91, I believe you have the Maxi-fuses. Sounds like it could be one of them if its not one of the ones in the fuse panels located in the interior. With the security system non-functional, what does the security light do when you open a door with the ignition off? It should begin blinking, then go solid when you lock the door with the power door lock switch. Once you shut the door regardless of wether or not you locked it, the light should go out. Also with the door key, if you hold it in the unlock position for about a second, it should unlock all the doors. Does yours do that? If you do decide to go junkyard hunting, limit your search to cars equipped with 4.9Ls. Keyless entry was first available in 91, the first year for the 4.9, so if it has the 4.5 or 4.1, no way it will have the module you need. I THINK 91 Sevilles/Eldos have the module under the rear package shelf. Should look the same and make sure the FCC ID on the sticker matches the FCC ID on your keyfob or you will need to buy a new one. Hope this helps!

After six months of thinking the RKE module was on the blink, I was nosying around under the dashboard...on the right side, under the black kick panel...and found A SIMPLE BLOWN FUSE for pete's sake! Replaced the 15amp (which the guide says it controlled the door locks) and...voila!...the remote starter fob works again. Me happy in Hollywood!

Members online

No members online now.
Back