Regulator issues

Envy

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new regulator after mine broke. Installed it and it worked fine for about a day. All of a sudden it didn't work unless I opened the door and rolled it down, then it rolled up and down just fine. Now it won't move at all, Any ideas on what could cause this?

Cheap aftermarket regulator, and/or improperly installed/adjusted. Also, the glass guides may need to be cleaned and properly lubricated.

It just seems weird to me that it works occasionally only if the door is open, the motor doesn't get any signal at first until I try it with the door open.

Are you sure that it is that the motor is not getting power, or is that the regulator is bond up and the motor is unable to move? Check for very slight (and very momentary) dimming of the lights inside (if the engine is off) when you try the window switch. It could be that with the door closed, the shape of the door is slightly different than when it is open, causing different mechanical stresses on the regulator.
Which door, and what year?

I'm almost certain the motor isn't getting any power, I took the panel off and listened carefully and nothing moves at all. (My old one used to make a very faint noise) But the moment I open the door and try, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'll make sure to check for light dimming, and it's the front driverside door on a 2002 LSE.

Found out the issue, the plug in the regulator has to be held a certain way ( kinda like when you hold an iPhone charger in a certain position to get it to charge) Not sure how I'm gonna fix this but I'm going to find something out.

Are you sure it's the plug in the regulator and not the wiring within the door or the accordion boot between the door and the cab? It's not uncommon for wires to fail in these areas that are subject to a lot of movement, and that would also help explain why it was only working when the door was open (repositions the wire so the strands make enough contact within the wire insulation). Do you have a test light or multimeter to be able to test for voltage to the regulator motor when the window works and when it doesn't?

-Rod

Members online

No members online now.
Back