Reflecting on my night at the dragstrip.

ratdog442

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The facts are a stock gen 1 Mark VIII should do a quarter mile in 15.4 seconds at 95 MPH so this is my base line for seeing where I am after tonights results. At first I was disappointed with my times but after further reflection I am happy where my car is currently and believe with more track time and some additional tuning I can knock 2/10's off my quarter mile time. If I am going to break the 14 second barrier I am going have to open the exhaust with a set of headers, add a cold air kit and upgrade my fuel pump. The car shifted hard breaking rubber from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear this was confirmed by people commenting on my car at the track. I was getting significant wheel hop on some of my launches so looking into some additional suspension upgrades will also be on the short list. My car was a big hit with the track photographer and the track announcer...the photographer personally came up to me to tell me how great the pictures are of my car...he will be posting these to his website tomorrow so I will post them in the very near future. So here are the results, I will post time slips tomorrow...

1st run of the night r/t .397, 60' 2.283, 330 6.249, 1/8th 9.497 75.18 MPH, 1000 ft 12.33, 1/4 14.727 94.30

best run of the night r/t .589, 60' 2.110, 330 5.995, 1/8th 9.205 76.20 MPH, 1000 ft 12.010, 1/4 mile 14.379 95.16 MPH

Considering this is my first time at the strip in 25 years I consider tonight a success with something to build on considering where I started the night to where I was trending.

Like most dragstrip open track nights you had a gluttony of Mustangs with some Camaros but some cars of note where a Dodge Neon with a SRT 4 banger running 12.8's, Nissan Maxima running consistent 14.5's, a 4dr G6 running 14.6's, and a hot chick driving a 2 door early 80's Malibu at 13.8's. I had such a good time tonight I cannot wait to go back...next time I am going to give the 1/3rd mile oval track a shot.

The facts are a stock gen 1 Mark VIII should do a quarter mile in 15.4 seconds at 95 MPH so this is my base line for seeing where I am after tonights results. At first I was disappointed with my times but after further reflection I am happy where my car is currently and believe with more track time and some additional tuning I can knock 2/10's off my quarter mile time. If I am going to break the 14 second barrier I am going have to open the exhaust with a set of headers, add a cold air kit and upgrade my fuel pump. The car shifted hard breaking rubber from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear this was confirmed by people commenting on my car at the track. I was getting significant wheel hop on some of my launches so looking into some additional suspension upgrades will also be on the short list. My car was a big hit with the track photographer and the track announcer...the photographer personally came up to me to tell me how great the pictures are of my car...he will be posting these to his website tomorrow so I will post them in the very near future. So here are the results, I will post time slips tomorrow...

1st run of the night r/t .397, 60' 2.283, 330 6.249, 1/8th 9.497 75.18 MPH, 1000 ft 12.33, 1/4 14.727 94.30

best run of the night r/t .589, 60' 2.110, 330 5.995, 1/8th 9.205 76.20 MPH, 1000 ft 12.010, 1/4 mile 14.379 95.16 MPH

Considering this is my first time at the strip in 25 years I consider tonight a success with something to build on considering where I started the night to where I was trending.

Like most dragstrip open track nights you had a gluttony of Mustangs with some Camaros but some cars of note where a Dodge Neon with a SRT 4 banger running 12.8's, Nissan Maxima running consistent 14.5's, a 4dr G6 running 14.6's, and a hot chick driving a 2 door early 80's Malibu at 13.8's. I had such a good time tonight I cannot wait to go back...next time I am going to give the 1/3rd mile oval track a shot.

Mods? I have run a 14.6 in a bone stock 93 Mark VIII.

Good times! And long as you had fun thats all really matters. Welcome back to the game. I was kinda out for 10 years too.

Yeah Gen 1's in proper running order will go 14.60 range at 96-97 mph. You have to launch from a dead idle and shut the OD and TC off as well as manual shift

Let me know the next time you go man. I've been wanting to run mine. I'll bring the camera & we can get some video.

lol I haven't washed my car in months...I will try that next time....Beechbend in Bowling Green every Tuesday night...planning on doing this once a month. Are you going to this weekends car show at LP field?

Good times! And long as you had fun thats all really matters. Welcome back to the game. I was kinda out for 10 years too.

+1..... fun is the key.
Your 60 foot times tell the story.
Kill the wheel hop, you will have it dialed in ...no trouble.

Yeah Gen 1's in proper running order will go 14.60 range at 96-97 mph. You have to launch from a dead idle and shut the OD and TC off as well as manual shift

I will agree with the 93 computer ending in #2 I can see a bone stock gen 1 running sub 15 seconds but with any other stock computer I do not see breaking 15 seconds...as far as mods engine is completely stock with 4.10's, beefed up trans and a stall, I do have a sct chip with a canned tune and I do have true duals with your double x pipe and muffs. I did forget to turn off my trac control but did have o/d off.

In my car I ran a 14.37 too but my MPH was higher which was 99 MPH. Also the only time I hit 3rd gear is right at the end of the 1/4 mile. When did you hit 3rd gear when going down for it to chirp?

I got my bone stock 98" t do a 15.1 with the original fuel filter, plugs and a dirty air filter. Have since replaced all the above but have not got a chance to go back and see if I can touch a 14.9 stock or not :confused:

In my car I ran a 14.37 too but my MPH was higher which was 99 MPH. Also the only time I hit 3rd gear is right at the end of the 1/4 mile. When did you hit 3rd gear when going down for it to chirp?

I would say I was hitting third somewhere after the 1/8th but before the 1000 foot line. I told my buddy that it seemed the car was losing pull at the end of the track...maybe I need to get my shift points dialed in? I glanced down at the tach and it was shifting at about 6500RPM from 2nd to 3rd....The other thing on my short list is either to swap to the 93 computer with that wicked factory setting or get the car dyno tuned with the chip I currently have...what are your mods on your car?

Last edited:
I got my bone stock 98" t do a 15.1 with the original fuel filter, plugs and a dirty air filter. Have since replaced all the above but have not got a chance to go back and see if I can touch a 14.9 stock or not :confused:

I ran the first couple of passes with my air filter on then based on a tip from my buddy he saw most everybody removing their air filters...I removed mine which is when I started running significantly faster times...if you do that I think you will break 15 seconds.

I ran the first couple of passes with my air filter on then based on a tip from my buddy he saw most everybody removing their air filters...I removed mine which is when I started running significantly faster times...if you do that I think you will break 15 seconds.

Something I could possibly try sept my damn air filter box is suck a pain to get open to change the filter :(

I would say I was hitting third somewhere after the 1/8th but before the 1000 foot line. I told my buddy that it seemed the car was losing pull at the end of the track...maybe I need to get my shift points dialed in? I glanced down at the tach and it was shifting at about 6500RPM from 2nd to 3rd....The other thing on my short list is either to swap to the 93 computer with that wicked factory setting or get the car dyno tuned with the chip I currently have...what are your mods on your car?

Yeah I didnt think you should be hitting 3rd gear that early but I could be wrong. From previous threads Ive heard of hitting 3rd right at the end of the 1/4 mile or sometimes not even hitting it. I'm pretty much stock besides exhaust and open cone filter. I ran the 14.37 on a hot lap too so the motor was hot.

I will agree with the 93 computer ending in #2 I can see a bone stock gen 1 running sub 15 seconds but with any other stock computer I do not see breaking 15 seconds...as far as mods engine is completely stock with 4.10's, beefed up trans and a stall, I do have a sct chip with a canned tune and I do have true duals with your double x pipe and muffs. I did forget to turn off my trac control but did have o/d off.

My 94 bone stock ran a 14.651 at 97.21 at Cecil county Dragway in Maryland in 2005. Only thing done was a removed air silencer which has been agreed adds no power.

60 ft: 2.25
330 6.304
1/8th 9.559
MPH 75.79
1000 12.331
1/4 14.651
MPH 97.21

Other than for traction reasons why would you have to launch from a dead idle ??? If you had good enough tires or traction lock wouldn't you want to launch as hard as traction would allow ???

Members online

Back