Refinishing Buttons, Switches, Etc.?

Bazil

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding buttons, switches, etc. on the LS as well as our 05 Aviator (same question applies to both). Does anyone on here know how the buttons for things such as radio, climate controls, lock switches, etc. were painted from the factory? Most of the buttons are backlit but over time the surrounding paint seems to wear down leaving them looking shabby. Take the window switch below for instance (a spare I have for our aviator). How were the up/down arrows left unpainted from the factory? Was a sticker applied and later removed? I’d like to refinish a few buttons on obsolete/unavailable parts but don’t want it to look subpar, as we take our Lincolns to LCOC events. The buttons on the LS are, for the most part, perfect, but I would like to have a few spares for down the road. Our Aviator will be towing the Mark X concept car to the Western National Meet in 2022 and we would like it to look as good as it can. Thanks for all the help everyone!
3D521809-F0E4-47C7-9BD3-00029AF9183D.jpeg
98B83EB2-9409-40BF-A692-9870FCBA4752.jpeg
E9B8F23F-F25A-4D8F-8807-EF6ED6538BEE.jpeg

A little update for anyone following this, I attempted to refinish a lock switch. It came out ok, not great but better than I was anticipating. I taped over switch with clear tape and carefully cut the outlines of the lock/unlock icons then peeled the tape off the switch. This left the lock and unlock icons taped over. Painted with some satin nickel paint and removed the tape on the icons. The edges are a little rough, I think the next switch I will use a magnifying glass to see better. This was a junkyard switch I grabbed just to test on, see below for before and after photos:
13635DA0-0F17-44B2-8798-DC950B09103C.jpeg
72BF067D-BB5F-4709-AA60-88E0F5E7D4D4.jpeg

I see what you mean zoomed in but from a distance it looks great! Nice job.

You would probably need to find someone to laser cut some stickers.

Man that Mark X is very cool!
Can you tell us how you got it and what is the background on why it was built?
Very much a T-bird too.

Man that Mark X is very cool!
Can you tell us how you got it and what is the background on why it was built?
Very much a T-bird too.
Thank you! Unfortunately it’s not our car, but a close friends who won it at a charity auction when Lincoln sold it along with a few other of their concept cars. It’s the same platform as a Thunderbird/LS and uses the same 3.9 liter V-8. Lincoln unveiled this concept in 2004. Unfortunately it’s not legal to drive on the street, so that’s why we are trailering it!

WHAT YOUR FRIENDS HAVE A MARK X!
They do! To my knowledge it’s the only one Lincoln made. Beautiful car, but up close it’s obviously a prototype, as the instrument cluster, climate control screen, and navigation are all just printed pictures!

They do! To my knowledge it’s the only one Lincoln made. Beautiful car, but up close it’s obviously a prototype, as the instrument cluster, climate control screen, and navigation are all just printed pictures!
That's AWESOME!

Members online

Back