Red oil pressure light "flickers" then goes away

red73mustang

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm cruising at highway speed and the little red oil pressure light begins to flicker, stays lit for a few minutes and then disappears. Is this just a low oil level warning, or something more serious?

The computer display on the dash indicates that oil level is ok. I understand that ther'es no substitue for getting under the hood and looking at the stick, but I'm still learning about new stuff like traction control, etc.

Chet

it is an indicator of low oil pressure. which is very bad.

but, having low oil pressure at highway speed is much less common than at idle.

so it is probably a malfunctioning oil pressure switch. they are like 5 bucks.
i would replace that and check the oil level.

I'm also thinking switch, only because if the pressure was actually that low at highway speeds for very long you'd have a seized engine by now.

Bad news, needs to checked ASAP before any more driving. Probably already too late, so we will hear just how far the Four Six will go without oil. Something must have passed thru the oil pump and/or oil gallery to the sender.

This sounds very ominous, I checked the oil level and and its was only a 1/2 quart low. What needs to be checked or what action should I or can I take before any damage occurs? Whould an engine flush with Marvel Mystery oil or Sea Foam help?

Bad news, needs to checked ASAP before any more driving. Probably already too late, so we will hear just how far the Four Six will go without oil. Something must have passed thru the oil pump and/or oil gallery to the sender.

Oil pressure isn't the same as oil level. Your oil pump could have become blocked or broken, or the pressure sensor could be failing. I'm a relative newbie to the 4.6 so I don't know the quickest way to plumb in a real pressure gauge to test.

I would have to guess that if you really had low/no oil pressure the engine would be making bad noises by now -- at least some sort of knocking at idle.

Just wanted to add that I noticed a burnt oil smell when the car is running. This started the day after the oil pressure lite came on. Could the oil pressure sender unit be leaking onto the exhaust? Also, if this were an oil pump failure or a dirty screen, wouldnt I get a solid always on oil light when the car was running?

Honestly with issues as critical as this you should really take it into a shop. Oil lights and funny smells are something to take very seriously.

Burnt oil smell from exhaust outlet or from under hood? Under hood indicates a leak. any drips on the ground or wet spots on the car? check it out. Top up the oil. Change oil and filter, look in oil and filter for debris.

Do these Ford valve oil seals crumble up and go into the oil like the old ones? 351C stopped dead when oil pump picked up wad of oil seal debris.

At this point I can't afford a repair shop so can anyone provide a picture of the oil pressure switch/sender unit or describe the location of it and I will try to change that out.

Thanks, Chet

Changed out the oil pressure sender switch witch seamed a bit wet. I also put in some 5W30 weight oil which may increase the pressure as well. Will keep you posted.

Chet

I hope that is all it was.
From the service manual:

Oil Pressure Test

SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED Description Tool Number
Engine Oil Pressure Gauge T73L-6600-A

Disconnect and remove the oil pressure sensor (9278) from the engine.

Connect an Engine Oil Pressure Gauge T73L-6600-A and Transmission Test Adapter D87C-77000-A or equivalent, to the oil pressure sender oil galley port.

Run the engine until normal operating temperature is reached.

Run the engine at 3,000 rpm and record the gauge reading.

The oil pressure should be 138-310 kPa (20-45 psi) at 3,000 rpm.

If the pressure is not within specification, check the following possible sources:

insufficient oil
oil leakage
worn or damaged oil pump
oil pump screen cover and tube (6622)
excessive main bearing clearance
excessive connecting rod bearing clearance

Update: After changing out the oil sender switch for a new one and blasting the undercarriage at the local car wash the low oil pressure light is now staying off and the faint oil smell is gone.

Members online

No members online now.
Back