Recommendation needed

GWL

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
A detail shop has treated my dash with a preservative that has way too much shine for a dashboard. I need a cleaner/preservative that will not harm the dash, but still break the shine. Any recommendations?

I think Turtle Wax makes a semi gloss protectant. I've been told to stay away from Armor All because it is water based and will crack the dash after a while.

I agree, all the Armor All types have too much shine and I don't think they work to preserve the dash material well. What I want to do is remove the stuff that was put on and not cause harm to the dash.

Meguiars makes a product called "Natural Shine" which is supposed to be a low luster protectant. I've never used it, but it might be worth a shot for $5.

http://www.meguiars.com/?vinyl-rubber-plastic-protectants/Natural-Shine-Vinyl-Rubber-Protectant

George, also know that the shine will fade with time. If you need to fix the problem immediately, you could use a spray or two of alcohol-based glass cleaner on a microfiber towel and a light wipe on the dash to get some of the shine down. That's what I've done in the past. Beware of streaks, though.

Good luck!

you can use grease Lightning on a rag it will take all the stuff of....I would say you can use the Meguires stuff I use thier wipe on my seats and then use them on the dash too....It works great and no shine...

AMORAL makes a diffrent liquid that cleans and protects with out the shine on it

ToddG said:
Meguiars makes a product called "Natural Shine" which is supposed to be a low luster protectant. I've never used it, but it might be worth a shot for $5.

http://www.meguiars.com/?vinyl-rubber-plastic-protectants/Natural-Shine-Vinyl-Rubber-Protectant

George, also know that the shine will fade with time. If you need to fix the problem immediately, you could use a spray or two of alcohol-based glass cleaner on a microfiber towel and a light wipe on the dash to get some of the shine down. That's what I've done in the past. Beware of streaks, though.

Good luck!

Thanks, that was what I had in mind. I really noticed the shine when driving into the sun. The dash reflected up into my view through the windshield. I wish Lincoln had used a more non-reflective surface on the dashboard. The Armor All like substance just aggravated the problem. The top surface of the dash is so large due to the angle of the windshield, that surface reflections are exaggerated.

Members online

No members online now.
Back