Receiver and hitch

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I can't remember but I'm almost certain my 2001 LS V8 had a receiver for a trailer hitch on it ...my 2002 LSE V8 does not ...was that standard on a 2001 LS or did someone install it...I'm looking to get a hitch on my LSE for Bikes and trailers...anyone have any ideas which aftermarket receivers will work and where I could bolt/weld on? Thanks guys/gals

I used a pair of draw tite hitches on both of mine, it was all bolt in. Not sure where you will find one these days, but my towing days are over. I had two 2000 LS green manuals, they both had it.

From the owners manual...

"Your vehicle is not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealers."

Another spot in the owners manual says... "Do not exceed the Gross Axle Weight Rating on the certification label."

Rear GAWR is 2600 lbs. BUT... max load is occupants+luggage... which is 900 lbs.

It's all on the vin sticker by the drivers door top hings.

You MAY get away with a bike rack and a couple bikes ... totaling 250 lbs. But the extra weight is going to prematurely wear out those hard to find rear suspension parts that are so expensive.

I'm interested in a hitch as well, 04 sport isn't wrong but most of the weight will be on the trailer, pin weight can be pretty low depending what you're towing and I don't plan on towing every day so I'm not worried about it.

That depends on how a person loads the trailer... and the number of axles the trailer has. More axles means more weight... and it's real easy to load a single axle trailer tongue heavy or tongue lite.

Too heavy... and it will cause the front of the car to not steer properly... and will wear the rear suspension.

Too light... and the trailer will wag like a tail on a dog... which can cause loss of control.

Plus... the steel bumper inside the bumper cover... is not rated for down force.

All around bad idea to tow with a vehicle that wasn't designed for it... and the LS is one of those vehicles.

All true, but your average bicycle weighs less than 20 pounds so I think you'll be okay. If you're trying to pull a thousand pounds or more you're probably going to have premature wearing byproblems but a couple of bicycles ain't nothing to worry about, a fat chick in the back seat is going to weigh more than two bicycles on a bike rack, shit even a skinny chick would weigh more, lol :D

Thing is... the chick in the back seat is sitting over the rear wheels... not on a seat that sticks out past the bumper, (think lever pricipal.

Mountain bikes can be heavy. Even aluminum ones. 4 of my bikes would equal 120 pounds total... plus whatever my steel bike rack weighs. Figure another 40 pounds.

Hang 160 pounds off the rear bumper of the LS... and hit a few stiff bumps or dips in the road... and see what happens.

The little "plate" style receiver hitches won't spread the load enough. Hit a good bump... and there goes $400 worth of bikes... and that's the low end of the price scale for a decent basic mountain bike. (bumper repair pending afterwards)

There is nothing tied to the bumper with my hitch, it is bolted to the underside of the car with two bolts per side and approximately 20-24" between the fore and after bolts. It is also a class II receiver hitch.

Thing is... the chick in the back seat is sitting over the rear wheels... not on a seat that sticks out past the bumper, (think lever pricipal.

Mountain bikes can be heavy. Even aluminum ones. 4 of my bikes would equal 120 pounds total... plus whatever my steel bike rack weighs. Figure another 40 pounds.

Hang 160 pounds off the rear bumper of the LS... and hit a few stiff bumps or dips in the road... and see what happens.

The little "plate" style receiver hitches won't spread the load enough. Hit a good bump... and there goes $400 worth of bikes... and that's the low end of the price scale for a decent basic mountain bike. (bumper repair pending afterwards)
nothing you said really is untrue, however I think you're overthinking it quite a bit. It's not that big of a deal. things are over built quite a bit from what they tell you it's rated for, if you saw half of the stuff we do on the farm over and above the ratings without issues it would blow your mind.
I've hauled 1500 lb in a Ford ranger before..

things are over built quite a bit from what they tell you it's rated for, if you saw half of the stuff we do on the farm over and above the ratings without issues it would blow your mind.

THAT... is dangerous thinking... and is what gets people injured or killed.

No...it wouldn't bliw my mind. It's calked a "safety factor". I deal with it all the time in my line of work.

A safety factor is designed into many products... to keep people from getting killed or seriously injured. The manufacturers of products design a safety factor into products... that they know will be abused... and MISUSED.

The only reason you are still alive... is because of the safety factor built into the ratchet straps you used as a spring compressor.

How mant times can the safety factor be exceeded before failure??? No one knows until "shit hapoens". I've seen it many times over the years... when things are done improperly... and it's not pretty.

i'm not even going to mention what the typical safety factor is... so don't ask. Hopefully you never find out the hard way.

There is nothing tied to the bumper with my hitch, it is bolted to the underside of the car with two bolts per side and approximately 20-24" between the fore and after bolts. It is also a class II receiver hitch.

So you are talking about a pre-made, pre-formed hitch... that bolted to what would be considered the frame rails, (cause the LS doesn't really have a frame.)

If a guy knew what he was doing... I suppose one could be "fabbed up"... or be fabbed by a welding shop.

The thing about that is... the hitches made by retail companies... have been tested and rated by the manufacturer. So there is a known fail point.

Did yours run between the bumper and the spare tire well???

yes, but we're talking about couple of 20 lb bicycles here, not a pop-up camper, in which case I would agree with you one hundred percent in your assessment, but a couple of bikes is nothing to get excited about.

the reason I'm still alive is because of experience, I know where to put my face and where not to put my face when you're doing sketchy things like that. we put 8 ft pipe cheater bars on pipe wrenches and push on them with payloaders, we bend and break plenty of stuff so we know the breaking points. I've seen chains and tow ropes snap and smash the shit out of the vehicle are attached to, some people get so stuck they rip parts off trying to pull it out.
City people will never understand, you have to grow up on a farm 60 miles from anywhere to understand that you got to get it done and do it yourself no matter what cuz you can't wait two hours for someone to show up and charge you a thousand bucks or more to do something you can do yourself for nearly free.

Don't be afraid of being ingenuitive, you just have to be smart about it. The correct proper way that's listed in the manual isn't always practical or possible. I understand being a dealer mechanic that is probably pretty ingrained in your training and the fact that its not your money when you're fixing stuff so you don't care how much it costs to do it by the book, however those are mere guidelines to farmers and construction guys, lol! You need to understand people like me have 20-30 different vehicles\machines though, you simply can't afford to fix them all properly every time and the more experience you have the easier you can figure out which things are important to fix properly and which things are not important.

City people will never understand, you have to grow up on a farm 60 miles from anywhere to understand that you got to get it done and do it yourself no matter what
Don't start again with the "city folk" thing again. Like I told you months ago... I stare at corn or beans all day long when I'm home.

Hectares of it...

IMG_20210809_091230946_HDR.jpg

I'll lift up that biotch and take a rusty picture of it for you, it is a pretty solid unit that actually helped save my daughter's and my life one night on a highway speed sleep event at 3:30 AM back in 2009. I drifted off the left side of the road and down an embankment, but the most lucky thing happened when I did. I just happened to cross over a police cross over road the connected northbound and southbound interstate 93 in Windham NH. At that time, the N/S lanes were separated by about 300 feet of woods, but my car left the road right at the crossover (thank goodness there was no cop sitting there) and when the car crossed over the service road, the trailer hitch rails hit that road surface as I crossed over and was headed for the trees. The daughter heard it, I heard it, I immediately woke up and saved it just as we started sideswiping trees and pulled it back into the roadway at about 60 mph after getting the car sideways on the return trip up the banking. I got tree bark embedded into my door handles and two small dents from the trees but I never got rid of the dents so I could remind myself to never drive 100 miles again while tired. My last 7 miles of the trip to the leaving the road event were not remembered, so I was on autopilot until then, and the road was not straight so I was zombie driving. Anyway, that hitch hitting the ground saved us, and the daughter was reclined in the front seat with the seat belt buckled but a foot away from her upper body. She would have been seriously messed up had I not heard that trailer hitch hit bottom!

, but we're talking about couple of 20 lb bicycles here, not a pop-up camper, in which case I would agree with you one hundred percent in your assessment, but a couple of bikes is nothing to get excited about.

Go back and read Dutch's post. He was wanting to pull a (small) trailer too.

Define "small" ... and how much is the gross weight rating of the trailer???

the reason I'm still alive is because of experience, I know where to put my face and where not to put my face when you're doing sketchy things like that.

So you admit you are willing to risk life and limb... not just of yourself... but others around you. The "experienced" wouldn't do that.

we put 8 ft pipe cheater bars on pipe wrenches and push on them with payloaders, we bend and break plenty of stuff so we know the breaking points. I've seen chains and tow ropes snap

Well that's impressive... not!:rolleyes:

And no... you didn't KNOW the breaking point. You FOUND the breaking point.

And every time a tool, (or whatever else), is abused... the breaking point happens sooner. The fail point of something new being abused... is going to be at a higher stress... than something that has already been abused multiple times.

I'll remind you also... that my experience is not based on being a mechanic. I got out of that years ago... so you can't use that to say I am being cautious.

I've lifted and moved things that most likely weigh more than most of the farm equipment you have.

I have 30 years experience doing what I do now... and most of the time I'm telling people how to rig things up so THEY don't get hurt... because they don't have an effing clue.

So you admit you are willing to risk life and limb...

I have 30 years experience doing what I do now... and most of the time I'm telling people how to rig things up so THEY don't get hurt... because they don't have an effing clue.
It's not much of a risk when you know what you're doing. I understand your position and you aren't technically wrong, but it's clear you've never worked in a farm environment before. Looking at fields is one thing, understanding what it takes to get that done is entirely another thing. If you try and do everything properly and by the book you won't be in business very long cause you'll be broke.

In a perfect world with unlimited funds I do fully understand your way of thinking, it's simply not practical or feasible in real world conditions however.

And you would be wrong again.

Months ago, (when we got into this before), I mentioned I have a farmer friend... right around the corner from where I live. That's his crops in the picture.

Not only is he a farmer... but he also works at a local company... as a machinist... during the growing season.

He also has a small machine shop in his barn... and knows how to use it.

This friend can make anything he needs... and has actually shortened/lengthened the frames on grain dump trailers.

That's just one project.

I have helped him with a few smaller projects over the years... and can tell you for a FACT... that he doesn't half ass stuff... or take chances.

Like I said months ago... you are a hack... and are dangerous. Not only to yourself... but to others around you... when you "jerry rig" or "half ass" stuff.

Hopefully... you never kill or seriously injure anyone around you... because YOU will have to live with it... and will be living in the "real" world then.

All you have been doing is giving poor excuses... and trying to justify cutting corners.

Oh that is so wrong... in so many ways.

The whole reason OSHA exists... is because of guys like you.

THAT... says it all... Especially the word "properly".

Just simple facts.

OSHA is a dirty word around here, bunch of namby pambys. Only the smart and strong survive here, we don't cater to retards, if you're dumb you die and don't further pollute the gene pool, ha!

You're echnically not wrong, you're just way way overcautious in my opinion, which is all good and well when you're giving advice to your average idiot on the street, fair enough. However if you really had experience you would know it not such a big deal when you know what you're doing. You probably wear a helmet when you ride a bicycle, which is fine and dandy, but it ain't for everyone, that's all I'm saying, LOL

Members online

Back