Recall Question

jbird97

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I finally got enough time today to take my mark in for the recall. Well a buddy of mine works as an oil change tech there so while they were doin the recall I was chatting with him. He asked me if I used my cruise control often, which i dont that often but I still do sometimes. He told me that what they do to fix the recall is disconnect the cruise control, wrap it with electrical tape, and push it to the side. He also said they didnt have any part to fix it which is why they do this. So when the car was done I took it for a drive to see if it worked or not, and it didnt. Im pretty sure that in the reports I've read, that they have all said that the faulty part is replaced. For those who have already had the recall done, does your cruise control still work? Im kinda mad about this and might consider trying to find another dealer to take it too to fix it right, if everyone else who has had the recall done still has working cruise control.

AS STATED IN THE RECALL, the parts are not available right now and Ford will contact you with a recall notice when they are. The shop did what any shop is suppose to do if you bring it in pre-mature. I took mine in, but they did not disable my cruise since the part was not leaking but told me to bring it in again when I get the recall card.

I asked a local Ford shop they told me 2008 at the earliest, due to extreme demand. They keep chagning the date around so I asked a Lincoln dealer - they will not commit to a date but recommended getting in and having the relay disconnected in the meantime. Thanks, but no thanks.

I have a Van and a Mark that are part of the recall.

thanks guys, i must have misread the notice and missed that part, well makes me feel better

My cruise still works and they did not mention a card in the mail. When I had the recall done.
Bought the car a month ago, wonder how Ford aquires your name when you change ownership?

i havent even gotten a notice in the mail......and ive taken my car to the dealership for alignment .......... :rolleyes:

my switch is DRY :)

errrr...read your recall dude.This is a two part deal,you get it disconnected so it doesnt catch on fire and when Ford produces the "obsolete" part we can all get it fixed.-------still love MY mark

We all need to read the recall notice very carefully.

Ford is not replacing some obsolete part.

All they are doing is adding a fused wire harness to the circuit, to prevent a fire when the the brake pressure switch leaks.

They don't have these wire harnesses yet, so for now, they just disconnect the wires (disabling the cruise control) and tape them up out of the way. When they get the wire harnesses in, they will install them, restoring your cruise control functionality.

If they see that the switch is leaking now, they will replace the switch.

This recall only addresses the chance of a fire happening from the leaking switch. It doesn't address the actual cause of the fires, the leak prone switch.

I think they should replace the switch wheather it's leaking now or not. This is the actual problem, and it won't go away by installing a fused wire harness.

My invoice from the recall says:

Check recall 05S28 for speed control hookup.

Installed speed control jumper wire.

Part# 4W1Z-14A4411-BC Wire ASY.

David M

David

My invoice from the recall says:

Check recall 05S28 for speed control hookup.

Installed speed control jumper wire.

Part# 4W1Z-14A4411-BC Wire ASY.

David M

David

then your dealer :q:q:q:qed up. they installed the OLD harness for the trucks and forced it on the switch. the parts are NOT available yet and wont be for a few months. if your cruise still works after takin it in then they didnt do the recall. you can choose to not have it unplugged but you have to sign a waiver stating you declined to have the interim repair done so fords not responisble for your house when it burns down.

I could do nothing and if my house burns down, Ford would build me a nice one.
I will check back with them, have them double check the numbers. Maybe they will give me a free tranny flush.

then your dealer :q:q:q:qed up. they installed the OLD harness for the trucks and forced it on the switch. the parts are NOT available yet and wont be for a few months. if your cruise still works after takin it in then they didnt do the recall. you can choose to not have it unplugged but you have to sign a waiver stating you declined to have the interim repair done so fords not responisble for your house when it burns down.

Talked to the service rep, he said thats the correct part unless you can prove otherwise.
If you want to pm with the other part number, will take it back in.

David

Talked to the service rep, he said thats the correct part unless you can prove otherwise.
If you want to pm with the other part number, will take it back in.

David

tell him to read the recall paperwork. maybe i should have his job?

personally i would go directly to the svc manager and inform him of what you were told. then have the advisor brought in. then pull out these 3 pictures.

the can verify it by going into fmcdealer.com, accessing oasis, and entering FSA 05s28 in the FSA tab on the right of the PTS website.

recall1lm2.jpg

recall2iu9.jpg

recall3iy4.jpg

Will bring it back in ASAP, guess a old MarkVII turns into a truck at some point.
They must assume that nobody catches the mistake.

Thanks
David

lol a couple guy at my work were doing that too, i just took one back off of a crown vic the other day

Is there a way to open up a case for a recall? I have a town car and a ls. The town car the cruise doesnt work at all after a tranny overhaul and the ls has a bad clock spring air bag light on which happens on all of them and also my cruise control is whacky where the only way you can turn it off is the brake, and accell decel is not working properly for the right buttons. Im waiting for the day i cant turn it off so i can sue ford lol.

Took my 93 back to the same dealership, told them the harness was for a truck, the service advisor was still confused and talked to the parts desk. A tech then opened the hood and disconnected the harness from on top the brake resourvor and sent me on my way.
I knew it was installed wrong and the cruise still worked, brought it back in 10 minutes later, and now I think they actually know how to disconnect it. When this is all done, going to have a talk with the manager.

Is there a way to open up a case for a recall? I have a town car and a ls. The town car the cruise doesnt work at all after a tranny overhaul and the ls has a bad clock spring air bag light on which happens on all of them and also my cruise control is whacky where the only way you can turn it off is the brake, and accell decel is not working properly for the right buttons. Im waiting for the day i cant turn it off so i can sue ford lol.

quoted so you cant edit it when it fails.

you know you have a problem and wont fix it. thats your problem. not fords.

as for opening a case for a recall. contact the nhtsa and file a complaint. if it causes injury or is a common failure with the chance to cause injury they will look into it. can you not cancel cruise coontrol with the brake pedal?

Took my 93 back to the same dealership, told them the harness was for a truck, the service advisor was still confused and talked to the parts desk. A tech then opened the hood and disconnected the harness from on top the brake resourvor and sent me on my way.
I knew it was installed wrong and the cruise still worked, brought it back in 10 minutes later, and now I think they actually know how to disconnect it. When this is all done, going to have a talk with the manager.

Lol. That thing they disconnected is the level sender. The cruise switch is below the brake booster on a '93.

They had to disconnect the steering shaft, to get to the switch on the 93. Took most of the day.
Originally the harness was on the brake fluid level sensor. Not sure how to go about it and bitch to the manager.
David

They had to disconnect the steering shaft, to get to the switch on the 93. Took most of the day.
Originally the harness was on the brake fluid level sensor. Not sure how to go about it and bitch to the manager.
David

I disconnected mine when i did my brake booster the other week so wasnt too bad. That dealership doesnt sound very competent. Find another if you can.

Members online

Back