Rebuilding the LS 3.9L V8 - parts are scarce!

Though rockauto pulled the lower radiator hose from my cart cause it's rare - for the sport engine with oil cooler - and went out of stock after I put it in the cart!?.

I bought one from them a day before you posted this... Sorry :/

Ok so you are going that far, you should really also replace the whole timing chains to the 2002 version. I did it on my 2001 that had 99k on it, and it was the SECOND SET THAT HAD BEEN DONE!

Bad design prior to May of 2001 build - which I see by the pics it is. What you will need to do is get all new sprockets, the full chain set from cristopher's and then you might as well since you have the engine out, get the 2002 bottom oil pan set up and then put in the 2002 oil pump which has the nozzles.

Now as it goes, I have the pump and pick up new in box if you want them. I was hoping I could swap that out when my mechanic did mine (2002 system now sans new pump), but when it was apart we found out the bottom pans had to be changed too.

The reason the you think the oil issue exists might very well be the original design oil system sucked and thus the in line change in 2001. I missed it by 2 months, mine was built in march 2001.
Grizz - are you talking about the V8 or the V6?

This is getting interesting - it looks like Terry's Jaguar Parts might be my savior as they sell connecting rod bearings as individual bearing halves.

Interesting way to sell bearings, I've never encountered this before. Still having a devil of a time finding crankshaft main and thrust bearings, but I just got a clue from my FoMoCo 2001 Workshop Manual for the LS. No specifications that I can find in the manual, but they list the crankshaft bearings as bearing halves as well - just like Jaguar. This might confirm maybe that the S-type Jaguar 4.0L engine shares the same crankshaft bearings?

The manual lists:
PN 6333 Upper Crankshaft bearings (5 req'd)
PN 6331 Lower Crankshaft bearings (5 req'd)
PN 6308 Thrust Washer (2 req'd) (Crank thrust bearings)

So I'm going to call Terry's tomorrow to see what they think. Strangely I enjoy auto parts detective work.

Phil
San Diego

Thanks everyone,

What a great forum, I really appreciate everyone's input. The more I work on this car the more I like it. I can see why you guys take such pride in your LS.

My machinist buddy is friends with a Jaguar mechanic here in town and he was getting some of the same intel you guys have shared - the idea of using Jaguar rod and crank bearing halves sized and purchased individually. Hey I'm OK with $200 or so for new Jaguar bearings if it means a happy bottom end. The auto dismantler that I purchased a used crankshaft and connecting rods from is also including as many used rod and crank bearings as he has so I may have two usable options.

I will take a bunch of pictures and post to the group as I put it back together. You guys are going to love the 1950's Lincoln/Mercury light green engine block paint that I'm going to use.

Phil
San Diego
Where is green block? And photos?

When last I looked, each half bearing shell was $6. They now seem to be readily available on the internet but the price is more like $10. As I remember, I dealt with an operation in Kalamazoo, MI, but that was several years ago and I'm, at the moment house/dog sitting so don't have my written references available. The outfit was very knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck!

KS (Cammerfe)
That would be Terry's Jaguar.

Members online

Back