rear wheel bearing?...WTF?

jrh420

New LVC Member
Reaction score
O.K., I have had my ls for almost 6 months, and it has been great. but my rear passenger wheel bearing needs to be replaced and I'm getting about 4 different versions of how to fix it so I thought someone here could help.
The car is an 01 ls with the 3.9...manufacturered in 01/01 (apparently this fact makes some sort of difference) I have been told by various sources that the $30 wheel bearing is the part I need....and then I was told I need to replace the entire hub assembly...$130...but some parts stores dont even have a listing for it....and then of course the dealer has told me you have to replace the entire knuckle?....$990....so with three people telling three different things at three WAY different prices I am completely lost. Any help would be appreciated.

From what I have been told you will need to replace the whole hub assembly. It is a press on hub assembly which is pretty tuff to get off and on. The 100 dollar price quote sounds right though. Good luck.

any advice on where to get it? most auto parts stores don't even have it listed? they have the hub for the front but for the rear all they show is the bearing?

rear brg

I hate to break it to you but that brg is NOT avail through ford and only comes with the knuckle. The part number is a 2W4Z-5B715-AA and has a list of $490.57 and LVC is $353.21. Maybe the after market can be ford does not. That brg would take at least a few hours to do I am sure.
Max

Last edited:
So i can't even buy the bearing by itself and have it installed..?...i have to buy the whole knuckle or the hub assembly?

If you can find the hub/bearing assembly somewhere, you can take the knuckle to a machine shop and have the old hub/bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in.

A friend of mine had the same problem with his '01 LS V-6. He is a journeyman mechanic. He took it to work and just replaced the bearing by pressing the old one out and the new one in. However, this task will not be undertaken by a dealership as the danger lies in pressing the new bearing in PERFECTLY aligned. And I mean perfectly aligned. I cannot stress that point too much. This is not a job for someone without a high mechnical skill level and the right equipment. It is faster and easier for the dealer to just replace the whole hub assembly.

I found the bearing at autozone for 35 bucks and a trany shop up the road said they'll replace it for $200.....pepboys said they'd do it for $150 but those guys are morons....thanks for the help. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

I bought the bearing seperate at partsamerica.com for $30 and had a NAPA press in the new bearing for $50. NAPA is nationwide, so there should be one close to you.

Would this be covered under the Ford ESP plan? My car is going to the dealer Monday for this problem and the service mgr said it's prob not covered.

Zach

Let me have your complete vin number and Ill run the warrenty status of you car.....it will be Monday though. You can PM it to me if you like.

Max

The knuckle only takes like MAYBE 6 bolts. However, you do need the big a$$ socket for the axle nut. I think it was a 36mm.

FYI....you will also need to buy a new axle nut from FLM. It is a one-time use nut that WILL self destruct when removed. My dealers DID NOT stock it so I was down for a few days.

Well the dealer fixed my car under the ford ESP warranty. They couldn't tell what side was causing the humming and the knuckles on both sides were too rusted to test so they replaced both knuckle assembly's and bearings. They also found out why my steering wheel was vibrating, Bent left front rim... Ordered a new one...

I just had a local shop fix one for me. $305 parts and labor, they had to take it to a machine shop to get the bearing pressed in correctly.

I just had a local shop fix one for me. $305 parts and labor, they had to take it to a machine shop to get the bearing pressed in correctly.

So, will we hear from you again next February?

You do realize that this thread is four years old.

You do realize that people use these forums to find others who had the same problem. These same people then read through old posts to find a solution to their problem and get first hand accounts on how to deal with the situation.

I found the information in this thread very helpful in determining if it was something that I would fix on my own or pay the shop to do. Once I saw that I would need to buy a new socket, take the part to a machine shop etc. I made the decision to let the shop fix it. I then thought it would be nice to update this old thread with the solution the local shop chose as well as the cost involved in case someone else stumbled upon this same thread (searching for the same problem). I think this is very relevant information for others to help them make decisions.

Am I incorrect?

I'm pretty confident this repair will last as long, if not longer than the original bearing (140k).

My comment referred to your last post before these two being in February of last year.

I have replaced rear wheel bearings on a lincoln ls in the past and its a very meticulous job, pressing the new bearing is a bit tricky and taking the spindle off the old bearing race its always fun.

This bearing is very much like doing a front bearing on a 2000 honda accord.

Members online

Back