Rear view mirror w/ compass

HDDave

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I did a search and just want to verify what I found.

My auto dim/compass hasn't worked since I got my '02 LS about 4 months ago. I happened to look at it closely the other day and noticed there are some wires coming out of the back of the mirror that were cut. :mad: I think at some point the windshield was replaced in my car before I got it and the auto wiper black box was removed and the wire harness going to the mirror was cut. I don't really care about the auto wipers, but it would be nice if the mirror dimmed and the compass worked. My question is: if I get a new plug for the mirror and splice into the existing harness will both of those features work or is there some other component missing? I looked at a 2000 LS the other day and I thought it had 2 black boxes mounted to the windshield near the mirror mount - am I missing something for the compass or is it an integral part of the mirror???

On mine there is 2 black boxes. The bigger being the rain sensor and the other the module for the compass. You can try and connect the wires but if the compass box is missing then you will only be able to get the mirror dimmer working . If not i think you may have to replace the whole mirror. Its an all in on unit. Somebody else probably had there compass and or rain sensor stop working so they test drove your car when it was at the dealership and ripped it out.

Thanks for the info LS_Monk.

Can anyone else here verify if a later year has the 2 boxes on the windshield. I'm pretty sure I have seen '01 or '02 models without 2 black boxes....

I can't really answer that question for you HDDAVE. But i would assume that the 1 box would only be on cars without the rain sensor. I belive it was an option on V6 Lincoln's. I imagine there is someone that can clear that up for us though..

Members online

Back