Rear View Mirror fell off

bhans40

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The metal attachment fell off my windshield taking of course the whole mirror assembly.....I pulled off the metal attachment piece....It has a plastic covering over the metal which attaches to the windshield.....My question is: what do I use to put it back on the window?.....What kind of adhesive?.....Or do I need an other mirror?.....Any help will be most appreciative.....My name is Bruce L. Hansen......Senior Citizen.....And I don't suffer fools.

The metal attachment fell off my windshield taking of course the whole mirror assembly.....I pulled off the metal attachment piece....It has a plastic covering over the metal which attaches to the windshield.....My question is: what do I use to put it back on the window?.....What kind of adhesive?.....Or do I need an other mirror?.....Any help will be most appreciative.....My name is Bruce L. Hansen......Senior Citizen.....And I don't suffer fools.
You can buy a rear view mirror kit, designed for this issue. I have used auto goop and it worked too. Make sure you clean the glass good, before using whatever you choose.

You can buy a rear view mirror kit, designed for this issue. I have used auto goop and it worked too. Make sure you clean the glass good, before using whatever you choose.
Thank you for your reply 91 LSC SC I appreciate your answer .....I've come to the conclusion this isn't the most thought provoking question and I could have figured this out.....However as time and age has continued I've found some of the more simple tasks or questions have become a little more difficult....I no longer do the mechanicals I used to do primarily because I have a tendency to start something,mess it up and have to have someone come in and straighten out what I can't complete (for what ever reason)......An example of this is I have a fear of replacing my serpentine belt on my 98 Mark.....Major problem,simple task.....I want to thank you again 91 LSC SE for not racking me over the coals for asking this question.....Your a gentleman. My name is Bruce L. Hansen....Senior Citizen....and I don't suffer fools

Thank you for your reply 91 LSC SC I appreciate your answer .....I've come to the conclusion this isn't the most thought provoking question and I could have figured this out.....However as time and age has continued I've found some of the more simple tasks or questions have become a little more difficult....I no longer do the mechanicals I used to do primarily because I have a tendency to start something,mess it up and have to have someone come in and straighten out what I can't complete (for what ever reason)......An example of this is I have a fear of replacing my serpentine belt on my 98 Mark.....Major problem,simple task.....I want to thank you again 91 LSC SE for not racking me over the coals for asking this question.....Your a gentleman. My name is Bruce L. Hansen....Senior Citizen....and I don't suffer fools

I hear you loud and clear.

There was a time when I'd change the trans on my 57 BelAir alone in the street, do brake jobs, replace fenders (62 Impala/64 Ford), do a 500 to 500XL interior conversion by myself (except for the trans hookup), etc. When we changed the engine on my Galaxie in my garage, I did a lot of the "grunt" work, but I hired a mechanic to to the heavy lifting.

Now, the only thing I do by myself is change the oil on my Galaxie. Changing a burned out dash bulb is a PITA.

I've reattached a rear view mirror that fell down. Pretty easy, but I think I used a special glue. It's been a while.

Walmart sells the rear view mirror kit by Permanet which you can order on line and pick up at your walmart or its on the shelf now ready to buy

Yes I used to do similar projects.....not now.....My wife keeps reminding me I'm not 25.....Now like you I change my oil and filter and just the other day I really stretched myself and installed NEW plugs and didn't cross thread one.....jerrym3 I'm glad to see I have a kindred spirit.... My name is Bruce L. Hansen....Senior citizen.....and I don't suffer fools. :) Senior means senior (78)

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce, I wouldn't rake anyone over the coals. What may be simple for me, might be new for someone else. Many have helped me here and I'm happy to return the favor.
Don't let your age or your thoughts stop you. The mayor of my city retired at 93 and she is still a rocket, today making headlines at 97. She was hit by a pickup truck and still went to work the next day. I think far too many say I'm xx age and can or no longer can do this. I say start with a positive mindset and finish the job with it. Don't let your age factor in.
I recently did the inner tie rod ends and tried for hours to put those rivets in. I was certain they were too big. I had 12 more shipped to me and still couldn't get them in. A 73 year old individual who's car I usually fix for them, tapped these in for me in a blink of an eye.
I thought I couldn't put them in and I go what I thought.

Members online

No members online now.
Back