Rear sway bar bushings

Blueberryyum02

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
02 sport

was changing rear brake pads and noticed that I need to replace my rear sway bar end links and sway bar bushings.

Is this a hard task the bolts for the sway bar bushings sit right at the edge has any one had success changing them out

I searched rear sway bar bushings, rear swaybar ls, 2002 ls rear sway bar bushings, and for the most part it's people asking the same question I am, or the thread goes off course, or the person whos plan was to change them out Stopped responding in the thread.

Any help is always appreciated and thank you in advance.

I looked, found no bushings available, possibly available for S type. From what I know, I believe that the rear sub frame needs to be lowered, if not removed. Painful job, since that requires exhaust system removal, as well as drive shaft removal. I had a dealer drop my rear end without pulling those items, everything was bent under there afterwards, shields vibrating on the exhaust, etc.

Ok thanks joegr for shop files
you would think on the first gen dropping the frame wouldn't be needed as the bracket and bushing is sitting right on the edge where the bar bends to reach out to the control arm. I was able to place a wrench on the bolt holding it down and it seems like the rear part of the bracket slides into place

I searched rear sway bar bushings, rear swaybar ls, 2002 ls rear sway bar bushings, and ...

I looked, found no bushings available ...

XW4Z-5493-BA = PERFORMANCE SUSP
XW4Z-5493-AA = STANDARD SUSP

STABILIZER BAR & COMPONENTS for 2002 Lincoln LS

Honestly, you jack it up high enough you can get to them. Not sure why you'd want to start removing exhausts and rear sub frames.

Had my 01 LS V8 Sport up on all four when I redid near everything underneath and I could clearly see and reach the rear sway bar bushing hardware. Ratchet with an extension and they are out. Too simply.

I did rear sway bar bushings in a 2000 on jack stands without removing anything, wasn't even a tough job.

XW4Z-5493-BA = PERFORMANCE SUSP
XW4Z-5493-AA = STANDARD SUSP

STABILIZER BAR & COMPONENTS for 2002 Lincoln LS

Honestly, you jack it up high enough you can get to them. Not sure why you'd want to start removing exhausts and rear sub frames.

Had my 01 LS V8 Sport up on all four when I redid near everything underneath and I could clearly see and reach the rear sway bar bushing hardware. Ratchet with an extension and they are out. Too simply.

I was thinking the same thing, but I read a lot of post saying you have to drop the sub frame to change the rear sway bar bushing.

Also thanks for the part numbers

Those bushings on the rear for the sport are discontinued, i wonder if energy have a set that fit the sport suspension.

- discontinued - is a bad word in the Lincoln LS world

BRAND NEW OEM REAR STABILIZER SWAY BAR BUSHING INSULATOR 2003-2006 LINCOLN LS | eBay

Tasca eBay store says they have Qty 4 of the 2003-2006 'BUSHING INSULATOR'
Can't be to sure if that would work for your '02 or not. 30mm for the Sports is what matters.

May have to look at ES as you said or try the idea of seeing if the front is the same as the rear bushing.

You can try and see if FCP EURO carries something for the rear, they have the 30mm fronts.
Jaguar Sway Bar Mount Front(S-Type XJ8 XK)- Rein XR819697 | FCP Euro

fronts may fit rears, not sure, would be fun if they did. You could test and lets us know.

18mm ?
oh, is the rear sway bar much thinner? never took notice before.

Not a common issue, rears never really reported as needing changing. Might check with Devin.

I did rear bushings on a Jaguar xk8, We had to have them shipped over from England. I know the xk and the LS aren't the same platform, but it's possible they could fit, or maybe from an x-type AWD. Worth a look, it's highly likely that ford only used a few different bushings.

I tried to change them on my '03 years ago. There's a post with a welded stud on the lower clam. The nut is on the top. I was able to get a tool on it, but it was way up there. I live in the midwest, and the nut wouldn't budge due to rust. I stopped before I had to drop the rear cradle.

I thought I have read the 1st Gen sway bar was thinner on the Sport than the NON-Sport? I know that does not make sense, but I thought I read it.

Also I was about to put a thread up, asking where you could get the Front and Rear sway bar bushings for a 02 V8 Sport?

Does Moog not sell them? I was going to call them. So what is the mm for the 02 V8 Sport sway bars, front and rear?

BTW Ford does still sell them according to the dealer I called but you have to buy a whole new sway bar also to get the bushings.

The front is 30 mm I got mines from fcp euro they are the jaguar version perfect fit you have to re use your brackets.

The rear is 18 thats what I've been seeing for special suspensions

Yes they sell a upgraded version of the sway bar for the front but why buy a bar when all you need is bushings.

This explains the constant ringing in my right ear. Mostly during the daytime. Mornings and afternoons it would seem.

I tried to change them on my '03 years ago. There's a post with a welded stud on the lower clam. The nut is on the top. I was able to get a tool on it, but it was way up there. I live in the midwest, and the nut wouldn't budge due to rust. I stopped before I had to drop the rear cradle.

Is it only possibly to change these on GEN2 if you drop the rear cradle? Tried without and it looks impossible..

Check out the thread on powerflex bushing install on control arms. One of the members did full replacement which included the rear sway bar. Believe he dropped the rear subframe after disconnecting the control arms.

I think it was only a few bolts.

Members online

No members online now.
Back