Rear Struts

Dern Humpus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought my mark viii a couple weeks ago and have been hearing what sounds like a blown strut in the driver side rear. What confuses me is that wherever I look, I find front airstruts and rear air springs as the only air suspension components listed. Are these both just one part that includes the spring and strut and replaces the whole unit?

Thanks for any guideance.

Oh ya, btw :W to me :Beer

and id like some :nxsmile in the future, sorry i had to use the badass smilies.

Instead of springs there is an airbag. It is replaced as one unit. From what I've heard they're not that hard to do on the rear.

well I think my front ones are leaking anyway, so I may replace those also. I have also been thinking about just doing a spring conversion. I am definately not a stranger to the underside of a car and am willing to dive into just about anything.

Why do the conversion kits come with front springs and struts and just springs for the rear?

viiiball said:
the rear has seperate shocks,go to www.strutmasters.com to find out more, they are great guys and its where i got my conv kit

So the rear shocks and springs are not one unit like the front? IE, the spring is not mounted around the shock?

What is the ride like on the conversion kits? Its it close to stock?

Dern Humpus said:
So the rear shocks and springs are not one unit like the front? IE, the spring is not mounted around the shock?

What is the ride like on the conversion kits? Its it close to stock?
its not your airbags in the rear if its clunking its the shocks and mounts. 100%
is your check air ride message coming up? if not its possibly not leaking in the front either. when do you notice this leak?
Eric

When I park it overnight the front sags all the way down to the bumpstops. I know the rear is not the airbag and it is the strut, I just hadnt gotten under there and looked at it yet. Therefore I was unsure of how the shock and spring were mounted, either together or separate.

The Suspension light has not come on. The rear is not sagging at all.

I know I want to get this fixed soon, especially if I decide on keeping the air suspension; I dont want the compressor to be overworked and go out having to fill up and keep full the front bags.

Dern Humpus said:
When I park it overnight the front sags all the way down to the bumpstops. I know the rear is not the airbag and it is the strut, I just hadnt gotten under there and looked at it yet. Therefore I was unsure of how the shock and spring were mounted, either together or separate.

The Suspension light has not come on. The rear is not sagging at all.

I know I want to get this fixed soon, especially if I decide on keeping the air suspension; I dont want the compressor to be overworked and go out having to fill up and keep full the front bags.
the car is always gonna fill and vent somewhat everytime you start and stop the car. to the bumpstops is a lil nuts tho. as for the rear the mounts come from ford about 30 each and the shox from your local auto store just ask for your year t-bird shox same stuff.
Eric

but should they leak all the way down so the compressor has to fill em all the way back overnight?

You can buy brand new 2nd Gen air struts for about $225ea. Get the 2nd Gen, they are a better ride. The clunking in the rear I can almost guarantee is the top of the shock towers. The weak rubber they use fails and the shock starts to knock around over every bump. Simple fix. DIY. For about $30 at the most to replace both sides. So, for under $500, you can be back on the road, good as new.

MonsterMark said:
You can buy brand new 2nd Gen air struts for about $225ea. Get the 2nd Gen, they are a better ride. The clunking in the rear I can almost guarantee is the top of the shock towers. The weak rubber they use fails and the shock starts to knock around over every bump. Simple fix. DIY. For about $30 at the most to replace both sides. So, for under $500, you can be back on the road, good as new.
thats what i says lol any way the compressor should run for about 30 seconds if so its ok if less its ok if more no good.
Eric

ps mark i got that disk for ya tell me where to send it.

My rear struts were making a similar noise. It was the upper bushings to the struts, I replaced both side myself for $90.. The bushings run about $40 a piece, depending on where you go.

But I would definetly check the upper bushings first before you go buy any struts.. It is a simple check to see if they are deteriorated.

i will definately check those bushings before I do much at all. I prefer the idea of keeping it air suspension as to doing the conversion. But the conversion will still be a last resort.

if jut your front bags leak they have a f/e coil over kit, but with just 2 bags down replace them with eddies(bluecollars) bags, i have heard lots of good things bout doing buisness with him,i only replaced mine with springs cause 2 bags were down 2 were acting up and my compressor was shot!!!! plus i wanted a lower stance i got the lowered version, i like the ride much more, but miss the auto leveling , but there is always good with bad...i guess.....p.s i also replaced the rear shock mounts too! :Beer

Hi, For the front you have complete air strut that bolts right in. On the rear you on

Dern Humpus said:
I just bought my mark viii a couple weeks ago and have been hearing what sounds like a blown strut in the driver side rear. What confuses me is that wherever I look, I find front airstruts and rear air springs as the only air suspension components listed. Are these both just one part that includes the spring and strut and replaces the whole unit?

Thanks for any guideance.

Oh ya, btw :W to me :Beer

and id like some :nxsmile in the future, sorry i had to use the badass smilies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back