Rear Speaker replacement

Not bad, guess I'll stay oem for that price.. Volume knob just broke on headunit to. My last LS had an AF one. Trying to find one for my 05 thats plug and play? Really just want gps again. Maybe stock unit is better. Dont want to go splicing a ton of wires etc.. was hoping to stay around the $200 range.

Last edited:
I am not one to argue with Joegr since he likely has forgot more about the LS than I will ever know...and often look to him for accurate advice. That said having replaced the rear subs there is no need to remove the pillars. You can simply push in/lift from the front or pull/lift from the back edge of the speaker grills and they will pop out - then you can just remove from the top using a 6mm ratchet. Others have done it this way and as long as you take your time you will not do any damage. The grills are resilient and its just a pressure fit of sorts.

Sub Replacement Question

...That said having replaced the rear subs there is no need to remove the pillars. You can simply push in/lift from the front or pull/lift from the back edge of the speaker grills and they will pop out ...

His 05, non THX, should not have any speaker grills. My 04 does not, but my 06 does. The use of rear speaker grills varied from year to year.

Yea unfortunatelty I dont.. another PITA LS job.

Yeah... After doing a complete speaker replacement in mine,,, if I had to do it again I think I would try to find some LS rear deck grills in the boneyard and try to cut the rear deck out to R&R the speakers, then install the grills.

Dont think you have to remove the pillar.. it took me like 40mins to realize what the darn tab was that releases the corner of the seat..

When I pulled mines out 2002 lincoln ls sport the bolsters have to be removed if not you will mess things up trust me I know, now the holes are empty and I have a single 12, cause yup you guessed it the replacement speakers tore up too.

Is there a difference between the two speaker suppliers mentioned here?
1) 6U5Z-18808-AA-B11 from Auto Parts Cheaper for $135 shipped

2) 6U5Z-18808-AA from Ford Parts Giant for about $100

I know #1 is definitely for the THX Alpine premium unit.

You can see the price difference, about $35. I just installed #1's in my 03 ls with the THX system. Did I just overpay?

My FPG speaker already failed. THX probably better. I assume the ford ones have been laying so long they are rotting.

My FPG speaker already failed. THX probably better. I assume the ford ones have been laying so long they are rotting.

Are you sure that it's the speaker? The stock sub amps seem to be old enough to be failing now. I suspect that the electrolytic capacitors are drying out. My 04 became distorted, so I replace the amp with one from a junkyard ($8), but that one is just starting to fail now, after a few months. I'm torn between getting new caps and replacing them, or just putting a cheap aftermarket amp in.

After a little digging, I think both suppliers listed in this thread sell the same speakers. After installing new ones last week, they sound pretty good especially using a cd. Radio, not so much but I guess this is what you got in 2003.

Interesting comparison on engineering(?): Install on rear deck speakers... a breeze. Installing front top control arms... retarded... dropping a strut to get a bolt out and then playing hide the nut in the engine bay for the opposite side...

Members online

No members online now.
Back