Rear Shocks 2002 LS V8

jmeecer

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a question, I think I already know the answer, but wont to make sure. Will rear shocks off a 2003 to 2006 LS V8 (Gen 2) fit the rear of a 2002 LS V8 (Gen 1)? Trying to come up with some options. Thanks everyone.

I can't answer your question, but I'm curious where you're gonna get the shocks from as they no longer exist. I had to get kyb shocks for mine, 2003. Thanks

I know they no longer exist, trying to figure out my options. But if my options are narrowed down to years 2000 to 2002 only, then that makes a difference.

Right on. Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the case, might be possible with modifications as I've heard about people putting Bilsteins on using some Jag parts. Kybs are 55$each on Rock Auto and good enough for me though! I drive tractors and trucks, so I don't know what the sport suspension should feel like.

the mounts are the same and the control arms they go into are the same.

it should work unless they messed with the ride height

I am pretty sure they are basically the same and that they should work. Stick with V8 for V8 though I am pretty sure on that as well.

Kybs are 55$each on Rock Auto and good enough for me though!

Really? I'm probably gonna be getting front struts for my 02 V8 Sport and I use Rock Auto but I don't see any KYBs there. Only Monroe and Gabriel.

Really? I'm probably gonna be getting front struts for my 02 V8 Sport and I use Rock Auto but I don't see any KYBs there. Only Monroe and Gabriel.
Mines an 03 v8, there's a couple other options for it as well, you can get some economy ones for 12 bucks a piece, I don't know how long they would last for though, haha! if I had a spring compressor I'd probably buy them just to try them for fun but it's a pain in the ass trying to compress the springs without a spring compressor let me tell you. got a buddy with a big jacked up van that has a receiver hitch on the front so we jacked it up a little and set it down on top of the spring\shock with some 10 pound weight from a bar so the bolt could go through the hole and compress it to get the nut on, pretty dangerous but it worked good,we used harbor freight ratchet straps for the rear springs but the front ones are way stronger so the straps didn't work. Barely worked on the rear ones, bent the metal ratchet handle, lol

The KYBs are listed for year 2003 to 2006, hence my question.
I just looked at the struts for a 2003 there. It lists the same part number for the Gabriel as it does for the 2002.
Do the first and second gens use the same front struts. Could I get the KYBs listed for the 03 for my 02?

35 years ago I went to a tech high school for mechanic training. There was a patch job done on a couple cement blocks on one of the walls. I asked the teacher what happened.

Turns out one of the students was working on a strut when the PROPER tool failed. The coil spring shot 70 feet across the shop... and punched a hole in the cement blocks. Fortunately the student wasn't in the line of fire!!!

Around the same time..
I was also working at a sevice station. The garage bay ceiling was 15 feet high. Right above the tire changer... was a circular patch in the ceiling.

I asked the gas station owner what happened. Turns out that a guy was changing a tire... and didn't have the screw down cone on the arbor of the tire changer... to hold the tire down. The tire didn't want to seat properly on the rim... but the guy kept adding air to the tire. Well... eventually the tire blew..
and shot straight up off the tire changer and hit the ceiling. It almost took the guys face off. Lucky it only broke his jaw.

Moral of the stories???

Anything under pressure can let loose without warning and kill you. Use the proper tools for the job... and use them properly. Even then... shit can go wrong depending on the skill level of the person using the tools.

Im guessing from your little disagree vote you're talking to me. Just for reference Im a farmer and I get things done without proper tools all the time. I certainly don't recommend your average person try what I do, I'm far more experienced for sure, and I clearly stated it was dangerous.

I put my foot on the spring and used an impact gun to release the nut, the rear shock went about 3 ft and the front ones went about 10, still dangerous for sure but unlikely to kill you. I would not be trying such a thing on a larger heavier vehicle but these springs are pretty weak on this little car, especially the rear. though I still don't recommend you try it if you don't have a clue what you're doing for sure. These front ones can definitely be a jawbreaker.

Members online

Back