Rear Rotor & Brake Pads

Jafeb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a stupid question... Are replacing the rear rotors & brake pads are easy as changing the front one?

Almost, You have to buy a special tool to turn the rear caliper in, but other than that it's the same.

Funny you should ask. I just did my rears today.

Slides were good but one of the pistons was froze. Needed to replace one caliper. New rotors and ceramic pads.

Biggest thing is air in the line. If you screw up and get air, the air might move to the ABS and then you are looking at specialized equipment to rectify that.

Do one side at a time and make sure you know what you are doing or else it might cost you more than paying someone who knows what they are doing to do it.

Just a quick question, which direction do you have to turn the pistons to get them turned back in? Its been killing me for the last few hours because I can turn them either direction easily, they just wont wind back into the caliper.

Some time's they freeze up, try some PB Blast and push when you rotate clock wise. Or take the caliper to a local shop and one of the techs there can get it back in, just pay him 5 bucks under the table.

The tool they sell at napa, auto zone and checker are crap. I just biught a MAC one, witch is what the pro's have.

The tool they sell at napa, auto zone and checker are crap. I just biught a MAC one, witch is what the pro's have.

yup they push in as they turn. hell i even have the reverse direction one for all the new ford 500s Taurus, freestyle, Taurus x and all the merc versions on the right rear of the car

Harbor freight tools sells a complete brake service tool kit for around $30-$40 bux. The tool applies pressure as you turn them in, sorta like a C-clamp does.

This is what I have http://www.mactools.com/Mac/Mac+Products/Catalog/Automotive+Specialty/Shop+Equipment/Brake/DBC2500MA But it's exspensive. I let my friend's use it so it pays for it self, it only take 6 second's with an impact gun. This is what Rich is talking about http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732 I dont know about the quality but I know I bend my mac one. I'm not promoteing MAC I hate there service so go with the cheap one if you want to buy one. Or if your poor a bench vise, PB blast, hammer and a punch will do the same just take longer.

This is what I have http://www.mactools.com/Mac/Mac+Products/Catalog/Automotive+Specialty/Shop+Equipment/Brake/DBC2500MA But it's exspensive. I let my friend's use it so it pays for it self, it only take 6 second's with an impact gun. This is what Rich is talking about http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732 I dont know about the quality but I know I bend my mac one. I'm not promoteing MAC I hate there service so go with the cheap one if you want to buy one. Or if your poor a bench vise, PB blast, hammer and a punch will do the same just take longer.

I rented the 119.99 dollar kit at autozone. 30 dollar deposit plus 5 bucks a day I believe. When you return you get your 30 back

Thanks guys. Looks like Ive got a siezed caliper on my passenger side rear along with all 4 frozen caliper sliders. Seems that these back brakes havent been changed in a while. I also just realized how big a POS the "cube" tool is. Works great for little jap cars, just not this. I bought the harbor freight set.

Any way to get the outer cables off of the caliper short of cutting them? For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get them out without bending the bracket on the caliper.

Any car will have seized calipers because most people don't' use the e-breaks. Use the e-brake often and they wont freeze. Also just grease your pins up when reinstalling them. If you go to the library see if they have ALL DATA, it's a much better resource.

Do you have new calipers yet? If not try either Maxx or www.rockauto.com

I checked the chiltons but it sucks. Ive been thinking about getting a subscription to alldata for my mark, I just didnt know if they had info on this car or not.

I got the calipers this afternoon from a friend of mine who works at a local parts warehouse. He got me a pair of remanufactured units for $50 bucks. I had to burn the grease out of the sliders to get them free. They were really stuck in the brackets. Im still dealing with this damn e-brake cable.

it kinda just rotates off the lever, undo the line and flip the caliper over and hold the cable, it could be corroded on so try pliers

i couldn't get my cable off......so i cut it off. there are no hills in Ohio so i;m not worried about it.

Well it appears that 13 years of rust and corrosion havent been too kind to my emergency brake cables. A small bolt cutter took care of that....

To say the least, I did not remember how good the traction control is in these cars..... I cant believe how much better the car stops now even though the original pads werent that bad.

Members online

Back