Rear Pads

exceptionaLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
real quick. Anybody can write up a quick step by step to install rear brake pads on my 00'. Would be appreciated, already have the pads but never did it before.
Dont make this one of those "ill look at it but not post a response" threads. C'mon....start typing.

Thanks!

its just like any other job except you have to have the right compressor to compress the piston. It has the Ebrake built in.

The piston in the rear actually has to rotate to allow it to go into the housing. You cannot compress the piston back into the housing like the front calipers. You need a special tool to do this on the rear.

Here you go...

1) Jack up your car
2) place jacks stands under the car for safety
3) take your rear wheels off
4) remove the 13mm bolts on the back of the calipers
5) slide the caliper off, towards the front of the car (might need to use a rubber mallet)
6) take out the old pads
7) compress the caliper piston (the tricky part): The calipers have to be turned while pressure is applied. There is a tool to do this, but i don't remember what it's called. If you don't have one, you can use a clamp (c-clamp or similar) to apply pressure while turning the piston with a pair of channel locks (but be careful not to rip the rubber boot).
8) install new break pads (make sure that the little nipple on the back of the pads fits into the groove on the caliper piston, just turn the piston until it lines up).
9) put it all back together, because your done!

Your welcome!!

Is this called a brake pad seperator? Sears has them for $10. I bought one this weekend but haven't had the chance to use it yet.

My R1 Concepts rotors and pads just came yesterday...

The one you have sounds like it's for the fronts. The rears require a special round and notched tool to turn and compress the rear caliper piston.

real quick. Anybody can write up a quick step by step to install rear brake pads on my 00'. Would be appreciated, already have the pads but never did it before.
Dont make this one of those "ill look at it but not post a response" threads. C'mon....start typing.

Thanks!

How about another one of those lack of planning on your part constitute an emergency on everyone else threads.

Make sure it has the right notchestofit the grooveon the caliper. I bought this one for a few bucks from autozone...supposed to be universal. NOT! had to grind off some pegs to make it work. Don't forget to watch the master cylinder so it doesnt overflow with fluid.

Small016.jpg

Small017.jpg

Small018.jpg

Small019.jpg

Small020.jpg

Small022.jpg

Don't forget to watch the master cylinder so it doesnt overflow with fluid.

Yeah, forgot to mention about the fluid. Just loosen the bleeder on the back of the caliper (obviously, remove the rubber cover first). No need to watch the master cylinder, the excess fluid will come out of the bleeder as you compress the piston.

Oh yeah, you can do that too. Just trying to prevent any chance of introducing air into the system.

the piston compressor tool can be used for free at most auto parts stores...eg autozone...you have to give them a deposit and the use of the tool is free. you shouldn't have to break open your bleeders at all...if you open the system you run the risk of building up air pockets unless you just really want to have to bleed them...my advice is too open up the reservoir under the hood...and if their was any pressure it would just cause the reservoir fluid level to rise...easy job.

How about another one of those lack of planning on your part constitute an emergency on everyone else threads.

Point taken, however, don't answer if you think its a problem. Thanks anyway. And thanks to everyone else, i'm not a mechanic and the help is appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.
Back