Rear Neon Ballast Question

Lincoln Mark VIII

1. balboa454

balboa454 LVC Member

So I'm nearing the completion of my car upgrades. Today I wanted to tackle the neon not working. I disassembled to discover the ballast was a small, white ballast, not the original. Also, both white wires coming from it looked charred and were no longer attached to their appropriate neon wires. It looked to me like they may have actually been on fire at one point when the previous owner had the car.

Has anyone heard of this? I'm hesitant to replace the ballast if the neon itself is shot.

Thanks.

2. Sonny Day Out

Sonny Day Out Active LVC Member

I have had a few of the small white ballast go bad ! They did not short out as yours seems to have done ! My guess would be that wires were pinched between the ballast and the trunk lid causing the wires to chafe! Good Luck , Sonny P.S. Bruce Budnick can furnish New ballast !

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 4:16 PM
  3. balboa454

balboa454 LVC Member

Thanks! Yes, I purchased a new ballast this morning from Bruce. I will update when I receive it and put it in.