rear hub assembly?

c.camp420

LVC Member
Reaction score
i had a rear wheel bearing replaced and it was fine for a day then it started making a bad chirping/squeeling noise the next day. so my mechanic is now telling me i need a rear hub assembly. does anyone know where i can find a rear hub assembly for a 2000 ls v8 sport, or if they even make them? ive been looking all over and cant find the rear. any info is appreciated thanks.

Yes they do I've replaced mine before and I have a 01 V8. I paid $369 for mine back in 08. I just checked Tasca and it's $607 and I was like dam.

That happened to mine before too. I got it from the dealer. I think the hub was about $65.00 and I had them warranty the bearing since that was new. All in all about $100 with shop fees and then my time to put it back on.

i am stuck with this problem as well.

Can anyone provide comprehensive detail on the process and cost? (Or a link to the process)

So far, I have seen the rear diagram illustrating the hub and knuckle assembly here: http://www.teamfordparts.com/partlo...080&callout=10&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0
FIP080.gif

From the above diagram, can anyone tell me where the wheel bearing sits?
Is the bearing stuck between the knuckle and hub assembly? (parts #4 and #5)

I have gathered that a wheel bearing can be pressed in for a small fee less that $50 per wheel. It appears that the bearings can purchased at Rockauto.com: Example of bearing i BELIEVE is appropriate:

getimage.php

---Are there differences in 2000-01 and 01-2006 model years?
---Can I just replace the bearing, or does the hub itself somehow wear out?

All I want is the cheapest way to get the rear to stop howling

LS gurus, please help us out! We can make a good tech note on the process for future readers

You're correct on the location. Haven't done one, but I'd suppose that the'socket' into which the bearing is pressed must be loose or otherwise 'boogered'. Before I'd buy a new one I believe I'd try to use some Bearing Mount to lock it in place.

KS

You're correct on the location. Haven't done one, but I'd suppose that the'socket' into which the bearing is pressed must be loose or otherwise 'boogered'. Before I'd buy a new one I believe I'd try to use some Bearing Mount to lock it in place.

KS

this is my sentiment too.

I dont know what would necessitate a complete replacement of the knuckle or the hub. To me, it seems if we could just get a new bearing in place we would be good to go.

After all, isnt this type of hub assembly quite common on older cars and trucks? There must be a way for someone to get the old bearing out and a new one in.

If we could pay 35/ea for a new bearing and say, $50 for the pull and pressing of the bearing, it would be a damn good fix everyone of us could do.

From my understanding, a properly functioning rear assembly should allow these cars to glide quietly over the road, yet I have read a lot of posts where owners report noisy rears. If we could assembly some sort of a fix process, many forum members would benefit.

Members online

No members online now.
Back