Rear end popping noise

silverbucket

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I was going to sell my car and buy a 2005 lincoln ls with 79000 miles but when it came time to I just couldn't do it. I've learned how to do so much with this car I decided to just keep it. Moving on to my issue, whenever I take sharp right turns I can hear a "popping" noise coming from the rear end. It only pops once. I took the wheel off and looked at all the parts back there and nothing seems out of place. I have no idea what it could be. I searched but didn't find anyone with a similar issue. I don't hear anything while I'm driving straight, or when I take sharp left turns.

What year LS and model are you keeping? Off the top, it sounds as if it could be the rear sway bar links or worn out bushings. Or both.

02 non-sport. I'll look into how much they are to replace and see what to do first.

Lift the car off the ground and pry the subframe around the four bolts that hold it to the car, it sounds like one of yours is broken on its internal bushing that couples the bolt to the resilient mounts.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll check all of this out tomorrow. Hopefully its something I can fix myself.

Lift the car off the ground and pry the subframe around the four bolts that hold it to the car, it sounds like one of yours is broken on its internal bushing that couples the bolt to the resilient mounts.

Agree. I hope this is not it because you can't change the bushings, you have to get the whole sub-frame. I had that problem. One of the bigger bushings cracked and I was able to pull little pieces out with my hands.

Agree. I hope this is not it because you can't change the bushings, you have to get the whole sub-frame. I had that problem. One of the bigger bushings cracked and I was able to pull little pieces out with my hands.

That's exactly what happened to mine.

I have heard of a few common LS issues but this one is a new one to me. No offense, but I also hope I never have to go through it.

I may have jinxed myself....

What are other symptoms of bad subframe bolts? I just got an alignment last month but picked up a bad rear sway the other day while on the interstate. I checked the air pressure and the lugs and they were okay. Going to have the alignment checked again in case I simply knocked it out. I do drive a lot in a town with poor streets.

Will also have my mechanic check with the pry bar.

I may have jinxed myself....

What are other symptoms of bad subframe bolts? I just got an alignment last month but picked up a bad rear sway the other day while on the interstate. I checked the air pressure and the lugs and they were okay. Going to have the alignment checked again in case I simply knocked it out. I do drive a lot in a town with poor streets.

Will also have my mechanic check with the pry bar.

Just banging noises on starts or hard cornering. You may try hard starts in reverse in case forward starting motion plants the possibly broken bushing into place on forward torque, since it could be front facing or rear facing on the broken bushing core, if that is the problem.

Definitely no popping noises. I also can say that all of the front and rear suspension parts, except for the rear sway bar bushings, have been replaced in the last year. I will report back on Wednesday after I get the alignment checked. But, I will try the hard reverses.

Members online

Back