Rear End Noise

Rapidtransit

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My car is a 2001 LS V8. I have the the typical rear end whinning noises. I have recently replaced the rear hub bearings and all was good for a while. Now this new rear noise started. To locate the source, I just jacked the car to get the rear wheels off the ground while the front wheels were chocked. I lowered the car onto jack stands and supported the lower suspension arms to bring the driveshafts nearly horizontal to relieve the CV stress. With the wheels spinning you could hear a distinct whining from the rear end. Even if I hold each rear wheel individually you could hear the noise coming from the what seems to be the left side carrier bearing.
My question is:
1. Can the carrier be removed with the rear end in the car or does the rear end need to be removed?
2. Can I separate the upper ball joint to pull the driveshafts or must I remove the axle nut and spindle and then remove the driveshafts?
3. Have there been known problems with the pinion and/or carrier bearings?

Ttt

I'm sure somebody here on this forum has done some work on the rear end due to noise. Can someone give me some guidance on what they replaced.

Members online

No members online now.
Back