Rear End Noise (Video)

Ben's LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Driver side rear started making this noise a few days ago...

th_004.jpg

I haven't had time to look around under the car yet, but I'm thinking that maybe it is control arm like this...

Lincoln LS Suspension Noise - LCA Bushing - YouTube

I really don't feel like paying hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for new a control arm. Anybody ever try the universal bushings or anything?

What does this noise sound like to you guys?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Will post pics if I get around to checking under the car today.

Lovely.

If this wasn't my daily driver I would be all over trying the jag bushings.

I would try moving to the bed next time.

:shifty:

If I moved to my bed then I never would have found the noise ;)

I would get it taken care of, TBH. The squeaks are an early indication that the joint is drying up and a failure is imminent. Soon it will start wearing out internally, due to lack of lubrication, and clunking will start. Eventually the rear end will feel more loose, especially at higher speeds. That's my experience.

Does Rock Auto even sell the left rear lower control arm? I can't find it on their site.

I found it on Tasca, though.

Anybody found a cheaper place to buy from?

Nope i've been looking for months & havent found it cheaper than Tasca. Both of my lower rears should be here this week. the only ones i saw on rockauto were lemforder and those were $290 a side. you can always try a junk yard.

Do you need an alignment after installing the control arm?

Nope i've been looking for months & havent found it cheaper than Tasca. Both of my lower rears should be here this week. the only ones i saw on rockauto were lemforder and those were $290 a side. you can always try a junk yard.

I will probably order from them tomorrow. I don't like to pull things like that from a yard if you know what I mean.

I saw that clip before. Note his comments:
"It's the LCA bushing. The fluid appears to have leaked out, thus causing the rubber to dry out and squeak. Fixed it by injecting brake caliper grease into the rubber boot."

I don't believe so, but someone else should confirm that.

I will probably order from them tomorrow. I don't like to pull things like that from a yard if you know what I mean.

I don't either but if you find a newer LS, control arms are the same for all years, it might worth $50 or so to buy used.

Does Rock Auto even sell the left rear lower control arm? I can't find it on their site.

I found it on Tasca, though.

Anybody found a cheaper place to buy from?

Yes, RockAuto sell them but they are supplied directly by the Lemforder's NA distribution centre - usually only 1 or 2 are in stock at a time. You can sign up to be notified on RockAuto when the part becomes available. I swapped both of my LCAs with the Lemforder parts.

Nope. There is no camber adjustment on the back.

I saw that clip before. Note his comments:
"It's the LCA bushing. The fluid appears to have leaked out, thus causing the rubber to dry out and squeak. Fixed it by injecting brake caliper grease into the rubber boot."

It did remedy the noise, but not a year later the bushing wore out internally. I should update that video.

This is what the squeaks turned into, about 8mo later:

Lincoln LS Rear End Noise (Interior View) - YouTube

Lincoln LS Rear End Noise (Underside View) - YouTube

Looked at the lower control arm after work and this is what I found:

Pretty sure I can't inject these with anything since they look like they exploded. And yes the car is rusty underneath, it has been driven for 11 years in PA.

Checked the passenger side rear and they looked the same practically.

Everything else under there looked alright.

bushing4.jpg

bushing3.jpg

bushing2.jpg

bushing.jpg

Sorry for the delayed update

The noise went away when I installed the new shocks.

Thanks for everyones help.

You should still replace them, the bushings have already failed.

You should still replace them, the bushings have already failed.

I guess I forgot to mention that too, I replaced the control arms as well. I went into suspension overhaul mode.

Took the car to the dealer to address the creaking noise when the rear of the car is rocked up and down. They changed the rear end stabilizer links to fix it. The links are Moog, Ford P/N’s XW4Z-5C486-AA and XW4Z-5C487-AA (the top plastic caps are 3W4Z-2860-AA and 3W4Z-2860-BA), but what is interesting is that these links have a Zerk (grease) fitting on the ball joint side that attaches to the lower arm; the links that were replaced didn’t have these fittings.

From my little bit of experience it's rare to find OEM parts with grease zerks. The only two pieces that I know of were the idler and maybe the pitman arm on my truck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back