Rear deck 6x9 speakers

LeaSr77

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
For the people who have LSs' without the subwoofers,has anyone put full range 6x9 speakers in their rear deck? If so did you mount them from the bottom or top mount? My Infinities are blown because of lose connection so I'm about to replace them and also replace the center console speakers and hooked them up as well. I was wondering has anyone added speakers to their rear deck. I think it will be a plus to the system. Depending on how good it sounds, I might just get rid of my twelve and just do an eight speaker system and run them on a amp. Thanks for any responses.

For the people who have LSs' without the subwoofers,has anyone put full range 6x9 speakers in their rear deck? If so did you mount them from the bottom or top mount? My Infinities are blown because of lose connection so I'm about to replace them and also replace the center console speakers and hooked them up as well. I was wondering has anyone added speakers to their rear deck. I think it will be a plus to the system. Depending on how good it sounds, I might just get rid of my twelve and just do an eight speaker system and run them on a amp. Thanks for any responses.

Yes, I put in some 4-way speakers. I cut holes in the rear deck, mounted the speakers from below, then purchased some interior fabric from an upholsterer and glued it over the holes. I have a black interior so the match isn't perfect, but it doesn't look any worse than the factory grills.

Ok cool. Sounds like I might just go ahead and get a pair then when I order my new door speakers. Are you running factory or aftermarket radio?

Ok cool. Sounds like I might just go ahead and get a pair then when I order my new door speakers. Are you running factory or aftermarket radio?

Factory. You might want to consider adding an amp as the factory radio isn't too powerful. I got a Rockford-Fosgate 200X4.

I have a system in my car currently. I have the Avic F90 as the head unit with an amp on my current speakers. I was just trying to see if you did have an aftermarket, did you try to hook up the console speakers. I think I've figured it out that the small harness powers those speakers. When I replace my current Infinity Kappas, I'm going to put new 3 1/2" speakers in there as well. I'm going to run them on the front channel and the 6x9 on the rear and buy a bigger amp. Man I think the setup is going to sound real good to the point like I said I might get rid of my sub. We'll see because I do like a little bottom end in my music.

first of all forget about the console speakers they dont improve the sound att all thats why the THX system eliminated them, now as far as the 6x9 rear deck what are you going to use them for, as subwoofers or a additional sets of full range speakers, if i was you since you already have a aftermarket HU use the rear 6x9 as subs if you are thinking of doing that get these 6x9 subwoofers Cl69 - CDT Audio 6x9" 200 Watts Mid-subwoofer
by CDT Audio

first of all forget about the console speakers they dont improve the sound att all thats why the THX system eliminated them, now as far as the 6x9 rear deck what are you going to use them for, as subwoofers or a additional sets of full range speakers, if i was you since you already have a aftermarket HU use the rear 6x9 as subs if you are thinking of doing that get these 6x9 subwoofers Cl69 - CDT Audio 6x9" 200 Watts Mid-subwoofer
by CDT Audio

I'm using them for full range so I'm going to keep all the speakers the same brand. I would rather keep my sub than to use 6x9s as subs.

Doesn't the Alpine package come with 2 6x8 "subs"???

Can I just replace the amp with a stronger one and get some more powers!?!?!

I really dont understand trying to get more sound from the rear.... Its like going to a concert and staring at the back wall.
IMHO, and its only MY opinion, but wouldnt you rather have sound coming from the front where the stage would be? Subs work nice in the rear cause bass bounces off the back wall at a concert, and is all around you.
I think keeping the subs in rear and focusing on the fronts is best bet. When I was into competing with my stereo, I didn't even have rear speakers, fronts and subs only.

6x9

I have Infinity Kappa's 6 X9's installed. I put in a JL audio 300/4v2 amp. I replaced the 6x8's in the front and rear doors with memphis speakers. I also put in a DVD double din Pioneer receiver. It freakin rocksThe JL amp keeps the same power level whether you put11 volt or 14.2 volts thru it. I also added 2 jl audio tweeters in the front door near the window in the corner. It is really nicely balanced. Plenty of bass.
www.burchetteguitars.com

I really dont understand trying to get more sound from the rear.... Its like going to a concert and staring at the back wall.
IMHO, and its only MY opinion, but wouldnt you rather have sound coming from the front where the stage would be? Subs work nice in the rear cause bass bounces off the back wall at a concert, and is all around you.
I think keeping the subs in rear and focusing on the fronts is best bet. When I was into competing with my stereo, I didn't even have rear speakers, fronts and subs only.

Think of having full surround all the way around instead of just front imaging.

I have all of the factory speakers from my LS if anyone is interested. The 2 6X9 subs and the 4 6X8 door speakers

The imaging is amazing with this system. I think all the 6 x 8's and the 6 x 9's in the rear give it enough bass. The factory 6x8 speakers I don't even think they have a woofer. It looks like a 4" mid range and a tweeter. The Memphis 6 x 8's move some air. The KAppa' infinity 6 x 9 have the largest woofer with the most throw and are able to handle high wattage.

Think of having full surround all the way around instead of just front imaging.

Do you like your concerts to sound natural or would you rather have it like your sitting in a living room with a surround system playing. I know what my answer is...

Notice with the factory system, you can set the imaging for all seats, rear seats and drivers seat. When you select the drivers seat, you get much less output from the rear speakers, like fading to the front. Its to get natural sound, not music that has been electronically altered. Even on systems I cant set the imaging, I usually fade to the front anyways, then turn up the sub a bit for some bottom end.

I dont expect anyone here to listen to how I think about this... Its just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

It is all personal preference. It is like arguing about which is better chocolate or vanilla ice cream. I have worked with audio my whole life practically, from building speakers to producing 7 cd's in my studio and people do have different taste. When I mix down a recording what I like may not be close to what the artist hears. I am just throwing in my 2 cents also.
Thanks

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-837

how would those work? My rear subs are blown. does anyone know the power ratings and exact specs of the factory rear thx subs?

these subs wont do you any good, the main thing you want to look into is the ohms of the subs, since the factory is 2ohms and these are 8 ohms you will only get 1/4 the performance/sound. if you want get these
http://infinityspeakers.com/car/pro...EL&ser=REF&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

they have the correct ohms and the factory subs wont blow it.

if you put the 6x9's in the rear deck, i would rerun the rear speaker wire from the rear doors to the rear deck, that way you would not need an amp and the placement would be a lot better than on the rear floor

I'm putting in new speakers in my doors. For the wiring, is the grey or white wire positive. Or doesn't it matter.

if you put the 6x9's in the rear deck, i would rerun the rear speaker wire from the rear doors to the rear deck, that way you would not need an amp and the placement would be a lot better than on the rear floor

Depending on the power of the head unit and the minimum required by both sets of speakers, you might still need an amp.

It is also correct that the factory head unit sends only the bass frequencies to the deck mounted subs.

even if you have tweaters on them you can still use them as subs, the speakers will only play what the HU send it so the tweaters wont be active. its going to be extremely hard to finx 6x9 subwoofers only that has 2ohms. i tried for years to look for them the best you can do is 4ohms and you just cut your power by half. unless you also replace the amp with a 4ohm amp.

Members online

No members online now.
Back