rear brakes

BennyCrac

LVC Member
Reaction score
06 LS v8. trying to replace the rear brakes but i can’t fit the pads onto the caliper bracket. the clips are in the way. there are supposed to be clips on the rear brakes right? when i took it apart there were no clips.

06 LS v8. trying to replace the rear brakes but i can’t fit the pads onto the caliper bracket. the clips are in the way. there are supposed to be clips on the rear brakes right? when i took it apart there were no clips.
Can't remember when i did mine and not sure what clip you're taking about but when I put things together I put them back the same way they were when I took it apart, AKA if no clip when removed i wouldn't add one unless you know for sure it's broken and missing and supposed to be there. Seems unlikely to me that the same piece would be broken and missing from both sides at the same time, but i could be wrong, possible the previous guy did it incorrectly I suppose but if it doesn't fit that's probably a good sign that isn't supposed to be there. I'm sure someone's smarter than me will be along to tell you for sure shortly if you're patient however.

My 2000 did not have metal clips on the rear caliper brackets u sure you got the right pads?

Last edited:
On the rear calipers, you have to align the piston notch to accept the little titties on the pad, make sure that is aligned to the pad insertion direction.

Only "clips" on the rear brakes... are the spring loaded ones (anti rattle) on the top of the brake pads.

You put the pads in on eithet side of the rotor... and press the caliper down on the spring clips to align the bolts with the holes in the caliper bracket.

Now... if you are saying that you can't get the pads shoved down on either side of the rotor... you may have to file the side edges of the brake pad backing plates to get them to fit.

IMG_20220530_110303625.jpg

If your new pads don't have the anti rattle clips installed... and the pads don't slide down in the bracket on either side of the rotor... then you probably bought cheap out of spec brake pads.

Autozone per chance???

If the problem is that you can't get the caliper over the brake pads... then you did not rotate (screw) the caliper piston fully back into itself. On top of that... the caliper pistons rotate in the opposite direction on either side of the car.

There is a special tool you can buy at any parts store (or Harbor Frieight) to rotate (retract) the pistons fully.

Pressing the rear caliper pistons with just a C-clamp... is not enough.

Members online

No members online now.
Back