Rear brakes question

SultanGris

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What's the secret to compressing the rear calipers? Fronts are easy, rears won't move at all. Thanks

Nevermind, I figured it out. You need one of these babies in case anyone else is wondering, the rears turn in, weird.
16143776209283772197690227476042.jpg

You need a caliper tool that rotates the piston clockwise as it pushes in on it. Just trying to push in on it won't work, and will possibly damage the caliper.

Nevermind, I figured it out. You need one of these babies in case anyone else is wondering, the rears turn in, weird.
View attachment 828575592

That's because of how and why the parking brake works. As the rear pads wear... and you use the parking brake... the levers on the calipers ratchet the caliper pistons out. That way the parking brake functions properly

Many foreign car manufacturers were doing this long before Ford.

That's because of how and why the parking brake works. As the rear pads wear... and you use the parking brake... the levers on the calipers ratchet the caliper pistons out. That way the parking brake functions properly

Many foreign car manufacturers were doing this long before Ford.
Right on, thanks for explanation. I've changed a few sets of brakes before but never run into this before.

Needle nose pliers work in a pinch. It won't be as efficient as the tool but it gets it done, just place it in the slots and rotate while pushing in

Needle nose pliers work in a pinch. It won't be as efficient as the tool but it gets it done, just place it in the slots and rotate while pushing in

The proper tool that Sultan has... works much better... and is faster and easier.

You need a caliper tool that rotates the piston clockwise as it pushes in on it. Just trying to push in on it won't work, and will possibly damage the caliper.

EXACTLY !!!

Yeah I tried needle nose, didn't really work very good so I went to AutoZone and rented that tool for free.$65 deposit but I got it all back when I returned it.

Be sure that when you have the piston compressed, you confirm the recesses in the piston align with the tabs on the inner brake pad.

-Rod

Be sure that when you have the piston compressed, you confirm the recesses in the piston align with the tabs on the inner brake pad.

-Rod
I certainly did not do that and now my rear brakes seem to be quite a bit warmer than my front ones, possibly my issue. Thanks for the tip. I got new rotors and pads coming a week or less, I'll make sure I do it right the second time! my rear pads didn't hold out till my new one showed up so I had to get cheap pads to get me through till my good ones come.

Take a close look at your calipers when you disasemble the rears again.

If the caliper looks "wet" or you see fluid seepage around the caliper piston boot and seal... you may have cooked the seals... which means they might need a rebuild, (or replacement).

Take a close look at your calipers when you disasemble the rears again.

If the caliper looks "wet" or you see fluid seepage around the caliper piston boot and seal... you may have cooked the seals... which means they might need a rebuild, (or replacement).
Sounds good, thanks

Yes be careful using needle nose pliers they can work but if you slip you can cut the caliper seal causing you even more work!

If you want the tool Harbor Freight has a pretty good one that I have used on a number of cars. It's $50 but with a 20% off coupon you can get it cheaper. If you can find the coupon!

brake caliper tool.JPG

Disc Brake Pad and Caliper Service Tool Kit 11 Pc.

Members online

Back