Rear Brakes just kicked my $%#

Autozone Sucks... Wal-Mart rejects behind the desk and worse then Wal-Mart quality parts..

Buy Oil and cleaning supplies only at Autozone ... Oh they are good for getting stickers for you car..

not all of them are like that,blame that on desperate store managers that are really short handed and hire anyone who knows how to pump gas.

i work at autozone and never had one customer bitch about anything,but.......even dealer items and replacement parts can be just as sh***ty as the next.nothing is made perfect and where else can you go and get a lifetime warranty on just about anything......NOT THE DEALER

can't do the job right with out the right tools... wow i cant believe people are using locking pliers on there caliper piston.... ouch....

I know if you do a search there is a couple people that said use the rental tool from Auto zone/Kragen...

what i did is rented and never took it back... bought it for 55 bucks... just like my 20 dollar serpentine belt tools and my o2 sensor sockets set LOL!

I always get the rentals beause they come in a nice storage case

I bot the tool from Harbor Frt, for 29 bucks....

I just did the rear brakes yesterday... Good lord they are a pain in the ass. Well, only officially got one side done. Autozone didn't have the brake tool so we bought the cheap ass universal brake tool. Do not buy it! Its zinc, none of the sides work without modification, and its hard to apply pressure and turn at the same time.

I dont understand why it had to be this hard. We did my dads pilot last summer. It has rear discs and an e-brake but the whole job works just like the front ones. My moms accord had the same deal as the LS except the piston has a giant + in it that you can turn with a screwdriver. Overall, way more work that it seems.

Also, does anyone have the part number for the part with the floating sleeved pistons that the caliper bolts onto? The upper one on the left rear is completely frozen and i'm going to need a new one. Thanks!

I used this tool for the rear brakes. It is used in a metal grinder, but works well on the LS.....

IMG00022.jpg

hey look my thread is back!

yea that tool looks ok if you dont have to apply any downward pressure. but if you do then its not gonna work to well.

My rear pads need changing and they just came in the mail, but I admit I'm unprepared for what I'm about to do, I've done the front pads but now my rear pads need a change and I've been wondering what tools besides a jack I may need and a specific question what is "THE TOOL" from autozone I'm spose to rent, I may have it already but if someone can give me a walk through with a rear brake pad change out that'd be awesome. ASAP thanx

Assuming all I need is a ratchet (what size? I forgot) and a c-clamp for the piston? not exactly sure first time on rear brakes. also how do I bleed the brake lines?

just a random post, did my rear brakes today... you CAN NOT use a C-clamp.
You CAN NOT use the generic 4 sided cube thing from advance auto parts.

I bought the kit that was shown above from harbor freight, 20$ is a deal. I did however have to put a wrench on the end of it for more torque, which sheared the pin off of the tool. I replaced it with a screw (used a cuff off wheel to make it the proper size, and that worked just fine. Turn to the right, just like a normal screw. Sounds dumb to say put the piston was so stiff I couldn't tell which way it was supposed to go in the beginning.

NOTE- make sure the piston is oriented in the proper direction, there is a pin on the pad that the piston notch has to line up with. Other wise the caliper won't close on the cage and you won't be able to put the bolt back in.

Actually, it did screw in when I used c-clamps.

I feel like you got very lucky, or used way too much force and were boarder line of breaking it. I put ALLOT of force on my c-clamp, (put a closed end wrench to use as a torque multiplier) and it still did not budge. Maybe I could have put more into it, but I was definitely afraid.

See my brake pads thread for pictures. The tool I got from Autozone is the same one you can buy from Harbor Freight. However you get one, get it. Even with it the job was a pain in the ass as you can see from the pictures in this thread. The fronts took all of 10 minutes per side, the rears took me about 1/2 hour per side.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=51229&highlight=brake+pads

I bought the rear caliper tool set from napa it cost me 80 bucks and it comes with everything you need for an easy no sweat brake job, it brings a screw mechanism tool that all you have to do it set the tool inbetween the caliper and pisten and screw it in. On my opinion its the best 80 bucks ive ever spent.

I bought the rear caliper tool set from napa it cost me 80 bucks and it comes with everything you need for an easy no sweat brake job, it brings a screw mechanism tool that all you have to do it set the tool inbetween the caliper and pisten and screw it in. On my opinion its the best 80 bucks ive ever spent.

The $20 tool has exactly that too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back