Rear Brake Line Replacement

Kstills

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Tips or tricks appreciated, I haven't attempted this job yet but it needs to be done because of rust. Any suggestions on which lines to buy would also be well received.

a lift is helpful. When I did mine I spliced in underneath the driver door. I bent the line at the back first and then fed it to the front. With a little patience you can get the old line completely out and use it as a pattern. there are a few clips between the "frame" and the fuel tank that are a bit tricky to get but take your time and you can get it done...

a lift is helpful. When I did mine I spliced in underneath the driver door. I bent the line at the back first and then fed it to the front. With a little patience you can get the old line completely out and use it as a pattern. there are a few clips between the "frame" and the fuel tank that are a bit tricky to get but take your time and you can get it done...

Would flexible brake lines work? And by splicing, I'm assuming you use some kind of compression fitting?

Thanks.

Would flexible brake lines work? And by splicing, I'm assuming you use some kind of compression fitting?

Thanks.

ONLY hard steel line! Also NO compression fittings! When splicing is done its by double flaring the line. You cut line slide on new tube nut then double flare the line. Now you use double female coupler to connect new line to new flared line.

+1 on DOUBLE FLARE.

You can buy the flaring tool fairly cheap, I suggest getting a bit more tube than you need, and cut yourself a few short pieces off of that and practice making the Double Flare, if you've never done it before

I don't know what your financial situation is, but you can get perfect reproductions in steel or SS from Inline Tube. They don't list the Mark VIII on their site, but they have them in their system if you call them. I know because they reproduced a set for my car.

07_22014.jpg

I don't recall what the cost was but I think it's under $150 for a complete set, front and rear.

I did the Inline tube on my green 94, very nice but a bit pricey.

The black 94 and my CE I just bought the line and bubble fittings, and did my own. You can make the bubble flares with a double flare tool.

I leave the old line on the car and bend the new line next to the old line to get the bends correct, then I remove the old line and clip in the new line. I leave the ends a bit long and put the fittings and flares on last.

I'm actually getting pretty quick with this job.:D

Bill, did you use any special bending tools? I plan on attempting this. Also, what size tubing is needed?

Roadboss, I agree. Before I knew of inline tube I replaced all the front brake lines on my Yukon and by the time I bought the line and the fittings and the flare tool and the bending pliers I could have had factory equivilant stainless lines from front to back, not just front.

I am going to buy the stainless set of lines this summer including the fuel lines. I have replaced one small rear line already and now all the fronts so I figure everything else is close behind in failing. $250.00 is a good price, factor in your labor and it is well worth it.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but you can get perfect reproductions in steel or SS from Inline Tube. They don't list the Mark VIII on their site, but they have them in their system if you call them. I know because they reproduced a set for my car.

I don't recall what the cost was but I think it's under $150 for a complete set, front and rear.

I just had someone whose car I'm going to be working on attempt to order 2 sets in stainless steel.

After a week or so, he got a call back, and they said that they can't make the lines because "they sold the pattern". :mad:

Bill, did you use any special bending tools? I plan on attempting this. Also, what size tubing is needed?

I didn't use bending tools, it bends fine without kinkig if you're careful. Sometimes I bend it around a deep socket for the tight ones. Bending tools are probably better though.:)

It's 3/16" line.

i always hate using bending tools. i just do it by hand, its not that hard if your careful, plus $5 for 5 feet of brake line id much rather do it myself.

I just bought a pair of these cheap pliers that are from a place up here like your Harbor Freight but our place has the cool name of Princess Auto!!!!

All kidding aside, the pliers were like $9.99 and you can bend four sizes of line with them and it is for that crisp bend without a kink. Besides the pliers I use what ever is around that is going to give me the shape I am looking for. I used the Patio Umbrella pole as a form to redo the coils out of the master cylinder on my truck.

Whaaaa? Sold it to whom?

I’ve talked to J.D. @ Inline Tube, and the problem is that they’ve deleted the pattern that they had because they were having customer complaints about the fit.

What we need is someone to take them a stock set of lines to make a pattern from. I'm really only interested in getting the two rear lines done in stainless.

UPDATE: Our friend in the area is going to take a set of rear lines in so a pattern can be made! :D

I’ve talked to J.D. @ Inline Tube, and the problem is that they’ve deleted the pattern that they had because they were having customer complaints about the fit.

What we need is someone to take them a stock set of lines to make a pattern from. I'm really only interested in getting the two rear lines done in stainless.

UPDATE: Our friend in the area is going to take a set of rear lines in so a pattern can be made! :D

WTF? Jeremi took mine there and installed the new ones but didn't mention any fit problems. I'm guessing he's the one taking another set there?

So can I order a rear set yet. Or is it going to be a few weeks?
My car is up in the air now with the fuel tank out so I would like to do the rears before I put it back together.

So can I order a rear set yet. Or is it going to be a few weeks?
My car is up in the air now with the fuel tank out so I would like to do the rears before I put it back together.

It'll take them about a week to scan the stock lines. They should be ready to take orders soon. Call and ask for J.D.

Members online

Back