Rear brake issues

CTX-SLPR

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm going to stop polluting the 12.6in Brake thread and start my own on this.

I'm having trouble with my rear brakes after doing the first rear brake job ever on the car at 103K miles. The pads were down to the last 1-2mm on the outboard pads though the insides still looked fine. I used the EU806 pads from a Jag Sport but they were barely too wide fit in the stock slider hardware so I filed down the edges so they slid like I remember the fronts doing when I did them this summer. I compressed the pistons with an autozone compressor thing that pushes and turns the calipers at the same time and ran them down till they wouldn't compress anymore. Instead of taking the cap off of the reserviour I opened the bleeders into a "solo bleeder" and let the fluid out that way, tightening them down again when I was done. I lubed the pins and the slide points on the pads with CRC synthetic brake grease and put the CRC BrakeQuiet on the backs of the pads where they contacted the caliper and piston. After bedding the pads with 10 to 15 20->5 and 40->20 slow, coast, accell, repeat cycles I just started driving as normal.

On the trip to work and back things were fine but on longer trips I noticed that it smelled like I was dragging a caliper. I took everything apart and checked everything and found one of the drivers pads had the pin mashed down like it was sitting on the piston face, not in the groove. I had to lightly push the pistons back in with a c clamp (the pistons did rotate when I did) then I realigned the grooves for the pins on the pads and put it all back together using new grease and brakequiet. Still great going to and from work but a longer trip had smoke pouring off of one of the rear brakes at a stoplight after coming to a stop from 60 in a bit of hurry. Both sides smell and are putting out more heat than the fronts are. I'm worried about cooking the calipers and warping the rotors making this job much more expensive than it has been already.

Thoughts?

my uncle had a simlair problem with his 02 ls v8, he changed both rear calipers and problem went away. hope that helps

I also did rear brakes recently and had to replace the driver side caliper for the exact reason.

Interesting,

Think it's just conicidence that I had to modify the pads slightly to get them to work? I'd rather not have to put any more money into this project than what is needed to get it working consistently since I spent the extra on the initial rotors and pads....

Guess it's part of owning a car.

Do you use your E-brake? I have a caliper that sticks if I pull my E-brake. It works fine if I dont use the E-brake.

Same event happened to me after a brake job, and coincidence has it I used CRC Disc Brake Quiet on the back pads as well. Scraped it off, and no issues since. The Akebonos don't need it anyway, they don't squeal.

The Akebono Euro EU806 pads that I used on the rears just went right in. Didn't have to modify anything.

After reading your thread, and from the description of the old pads coming off, it sounds like maybe your calipers are sticking. My '06 had around 55K-mi at the time but there were no issues with pad fitment or function after the brake job.

I've already bought both rear calipers from Centric through RockAuto. When they get here and I get back from my trip, I'll replace them.

Kumba,

Did your rear calipers have the metal slider clips on them or are you running the pads directly on the cast iron bracket?

Members online

No members online now.
Back