Rear brake failure

pragmatic

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
When I put the snow tires on (November) I eyeballed the brakes. Front looked good as did the rear. All looked to have over 1/4 inch of material remaining more than enough to last until April when the tires come off.

Last weekend the left rear wheel would only rotate forward. I was having problems backing up on the ice covered parking lot. I thought it was low traction keeping me from backing up but then I heard a loud bang and the car began to freely backup. On the drive home from VT the pedal had long travel but after pumping it it returned to normal.

I ordered some new rotrs and pads and today I decided to investigate. I found that the left rear inner pad was gone (no backing plate nothing) and the piston was ground down by the rotor. All else was normal, braking seemed normal on the drive home and I haven't driven it since.

Remaining three pads are fine. Rear rotors and pads were changed at ~120,000 (fronts at ~140,000) the car currently has 150,000.

Now I'll be ordering a caliper. Not sure how the pad got out.

I'd suggest ordering two calipers, not just the one. A new caliper with new seals will put more pressure on the rear brakes, and may cause the old caliper on the other side to spring a leak. You may find yourself redoing the job on the other wheel in about 3 months if you don't.

Members online

No members online now.
Back