Rear Air Suspension sags

Malcolm0

New LVC Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 91' Town Car. The rear air susp. will occasionaly raise to the correct level, sometimes not even raise. All I know for sure is that she replaced the fuse under the hood for her air suspension 4 times last week alone because they keep blowing. Never had the pleasure to work on air suspension before, any ideas on what's going on?:confused:

Classic symptoms of rear air bags needing to be replaced...

If you are blowing fuses, you've got holes in the air bags and they need to be replaced soon. Failure to replace them will cause the air compressor to burn out. Once that burns out, you will need to replace that as well...

Here is what's going on: The air compressor turns on automatically when the car starts and infaltes the rear air bags at a factory set height. It will continue to pump air in the bags until that height is achieved. Once it is, the compressor shuts off, and will only start again when the bags are low...

The problem you are having: there are cracks in the rubber boot of the bags(95% of the time) which are letting the air out. The compressor keeps pumping and pumping until it runs out of steam. You will eventually burn the compressor out and that will need to be replaced...

The solution is to buy new bags, Arnotts(ad on side) is a good source. Will cost about 92 a bag... I would suggest getting the new solenoids and o-ring package as well. Or you can go to the coil spring. I don't personaly recommend it, but some people swear by it...

Let us know if you need more help...

I replaced mine 2 years ago and have not had a problem with them. If you can change your oil, you can do this change.

Thanks alot for the info and for giving me such detail...I was shocked to get a response so quickly that was as clear as yours. Your a lifesaver!:)

Members online

No members online now.
Back