Really Hot gun hearing to decide ban's fate

04SCTLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
'Really hot' gun hearing to decide ban's fate

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20080314/METRO/266988623/1004

By Adrienne Washington
March 14, 2008
John Payton, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund's president and director-counsel, says "it will be really hot" Tuesday at the U.S. Supreme Court.

So hot, in fact, that he is not certain he will get a seat when crowds line up to hear oral arguments in the gun-control case, District of Columbia v. Dick Heller.

So hot, that court administrators already have agreed to release audiotapes of the seminal Second Amendment case, practically the moment the justices adjourn after what promises to be a lively debate about what the Founding Fathers were thinking more than 200 years ago with respect to the rights of individual Americans to possess firearms.

This will be the first time the high court has reviewed this amendment in 68 years.

"The government did not take up the first [gun control] case since 1939 to issue a ruling that only applies to D.C., but for much more broader effect," Mr. Payton said.

That the Heller hearing, which will determine the legality of the District's 1976 handgun ban, will be hot is about the only thing Mr. Payton and two other panelists agreed upon during yesterday's American Constitutional Society for Law and Policy forum at the National Press Club.

In what could only be described as a "Hardball" preview to Tuesday's showdown before the Supreme Court, Mr. Peyton, Roger Williams University law professor Carl T. Bogus and David B. Kopel, research director of the Independence Institute, voiced their respective legal opinions.

It was as if the dais were a judicial bench in a moot court before a jury filled mainly with hastily scribbling reporters and supporters on both sides of the gun debate.
The panelists couldn't even agree on what the word "tyranny" means, or whether it should apply to government regulations on the Second Amendment at any level.

At one point, moderator Dahlia Lithwick, senior editor and legal correspondent for Slate who writes "Supreme Court Dispatches," jokingly warned Mr. Bogus that she would allow him to answer a question as long as he didn't use the word tyranny.

"That seems to get everybody excited," she said.

Ms. Lithwick's caution and the dispute over the word tyranny might appear petty to those uninitiated in constitutional law.

But the nitpicking illustrates just how contentious the battle about gun rights is and how both sides are invested in the outcome of this rare test case.

One questioner asked the panelists to "take off your polemic hats for a second and put on your analytical hats" to address whether the Second Amendment guarantees individual or collective, militia-related rights to bear arms.

"The individual rights argument is a creative artifact of the 20th century," said Mr. Kopel, whose Independence Institute is a nonpartisan, nonprofit public research group based in Colorado.

Mr. Bogus posited if individuals have the right to bear arms, that could mean they can own machine guns and weapons of mass destruction. He also presented statistics showing that there were fewer homicides and suicides in the District during the nine years after the ban was enacted, compared to the nine years before its enactment.

If the District's handgun ban is repealed, how would that affect similar gun control measures in Chicago and other jurisdictions? How will the federal ruling affect the states?

"These are arguments that should be made before legislatures," Mr. Payton said.

Truth be told, few D.C. residents care about the interpretive differences between conservative legal scholars, who are strict "originalists," versus liberal legal scholars, who believe the Constitution is an evolving "living document."

D.C. residents just want safer streets, which is what their elected leaders will contend they provided by enacting a handgun ban to stem the flow of firearms.

Whether the ban produced the desired effect depends on where one stands or sits, if this forum is an indicator. No one went so far as to predict an outcome, but a split among the justices that will likely draw out the litigation was the odds-on favorite.

City lawyers better be prepared to present some style as well as substance on Tuesday.

If passion alone tips the scales, then Mr. Kopel — listed as counsel of record on the green cover of the brief he handed out in favor of repealing the gun ban — would win hands down.

"D.C. law is the freakish edge that goes from gun control to gun prohibition," he said.

That's not to say that he's right. Mr. Payton's rebuttals did interject a dose of reason, especially when he set the record straight about black code laws that did not allow freedmen the right to own guns in their own homes to protect themselves from murderous Klan posses.

Mr. Payton said the Founding Fathers never envisioned today's urban areas or gun violence that disproportionately victimize blacks.

Still, when you are arguing for your life — as Mr. Kopel's clients contend they are because the District "does not allow them to the right to protect themselves in their own homes" — then I'd want the guy whose voice rises and face reddens and visibly gets hot under the collar making his most impassioned pleas on my side.

D. C. v. Heller
The five judicial activists chose to apply the rule established by the Court of the Kings Bench in the case of Rex v. Marks (1802), for no reason other than it would produce the results they personally desired.

What makes Joel Prentiss Bishop an authority on which rules of construction should be applied to the U. S. Constitution?

Why isn't the Sprague Court still the authority on which rules of interpretation should apply to the Constitution?

Why aren't Tiffany, Volokh, Dwarris or Sedgwick still the authority on the proper use of preambles in Constitutional interpretation?

So far, the five little activists have, with regard to the rules of construction, switched authorities six times. The five activists are obviously cherry picking. They are choosing to apply only those rules of construction that will produce the outcome they personally desire.

The well established common law rules of construction existent at the time the Constitution was being made, are the rules that should be applied to the Constitution. Those rules are found in Blackstone's Commentaries, which was probably the only source of information about English common law the lawmakers had access to as the Constitution was being made.

You really couldn't just stick that post on this thread you had last week on the exact same topic? Instead you had to dig this thread up from 5 months ago.

wow

Ron

This topic has already been discussed on this forum in other threads. Your necro response is ill-timed, "Mick."

By the way, if you're going to necro, why don't you use your special glasses to examine the rules of construction that were used by the five little activists who decided Roe v. Wade?

Let's take a close look at the Court's interpretation of the the first clause of the Second Amendment in D. C. v. Heller. The words of the five judicial activists are in blue. My commentary is in red.

The Second Amendment provides: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that

Commentary: The activists apparently recognize that rules of construction are necessary. I wonder if they will apply the rules that actually existed at the time the Constitution was being made?

“[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931); see also Gibbons v. Ogden, 9 Wheat. 1, 188 (1824).

Commentary: That's probably not a bad rule. However, it wasn't one of the well established rules of construction at the time the Constitution was made. Is the Sprague Court going to be the supreme authority on which rules of construction apply to the U. S. Constitution. If so, why?

Normal meaning may of course include an idiomatic meaning, but it excludes secret or technical meanings that would not have been known to ordinary citizens in the founding generation.

Commentary: Where does that rule come from? Did the Sprague Court endorse that rule or did the five activist just make it up?

...The Second Amendment is naturally divided into two parts: its prefatory clause and its operative clause. The former does not limit the latter grammatically, but rather announces a purpose. The Amendment could be rephrased, “Because a well regulated Militia is necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.” See J. Tiffany, A Treatise on Government and Constitutional Law §585, p. 394 (1867); Brief for Professors of Linguistics and English as Amici Curiae 3 (hereinafter Linguists’ Brief).

Commentary: Why did the five activists cite Tiffany as the authority for their "rephrasing" of the Amendment, and then rephrase it differently than Tiffany did? Why is the Sprague Court no longer the supreme authority on which rules of construction apply to the U. S. Constitution? If Tiffany is now the supreme authority on which rules of construction apply to the Constitution, should we apply Tiffany's other rules, such as the one that says, "the meaning of the constitution... must be ascertained by the application of such rules of interpretation...at the time the constitution was framed and adopted.

Although this structure of the Second Amendment is unique in our Constitution, other legal documents of the founding era, particularly individual-rights provisions of state constitutions, commonly included a prefatory statement of purpose. See generally Volokh, The Commonplace
Second Amendment, 73 N. Y. U. L. Rev. 793, 814–821 (1998).

Commentary: At time the Constitution was made, there were well established common law rules of construction. Under those rules, other legal documents cannot be consider, unless the rules allow them to be considered.

Logic demands that there be a link between the stated purpose and the command.

Commentary: According to the well established rules existent at the time the Constitution was made, when the reason for a law terminates,so does the law. Is "a well regulated militia" still necessary for the security of the free state?

The Second Amendment would be nonsensical if it read, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of
the people to petition for redress of grievances shall not be infringed.” That requirement of logical connection may cause a prefatory clause to resolve an ambiguity in the operative clause

Commentary: Under the rules of construction existent at the time the Constitution was made, if the cause that moved the legislator ceases to exist, so does the law. Now that we rely on a standing army, is "a well regulated militia" still necessary for the security of the free state?

(“The separation of church and state being an important objective, the teachings of canons shall have no place in our jurisprudence.” The preface makes clear that the operative clause refers not to canons of interpretation but to clergymen.)

Commentary: The word "canons" doesn't mean "clergymen."

But apart from that clarifying function, a prefatory clause does not limit or expand the scope of the operative clause. See F. Dwarris,
A General Treatise on Statutes 268–269 (P. Potter ed. 1871) (hereinafter Dwarris); T. Sedgwick, The Interpretation and Construction of Statutory and Constitutional Law 42–45 (2d ed. 1874).3 “

Commentary: Why is Tiffany no longer the authority on rules of construction?

‘It is nothing unusual in acts . . . for the enacting part to go beyond the preamble; the remedy often extends beyond the particular act or mischief which first suggested the necessity of the law.’ ” J. Bishop, Commentaries on Written Laws and Their Interpretation §51, p. 49 (1882) (quoting Rex v. Marks, 3 East, 157, 165 (K. B. 1802)).

Commentary: Why are Dwarris and Sedgwick no longer the supreme authorities on the rules of construction.

Therefore, while we will begin our textual analysis with the operative clause, we will return to the prefatory clause to ensure that our reading of the operative clause is consistent with the announced purpose.

Commentary: A textual analysis using the wrong rules of construction is worthless.

Logic demands that there be a link between the stated purpose and the command.

Commentary: According to the well established rules existent at the time the Constitution was made, when the reason for a law terminates,so does the law. Is "a well regulated militia" still necessary for the security of the free state?

Yes it is.

Even if your premise were correct, which it isn't, reality is that there are thousands of laws on the books today which exist despite there being no reason for them.

Furthermore, the 2nd Amendment isn't just "a law" in the legislative sense. It is part of the Constitution, which overrides all laws, and as such can only be removed by Constitutional Amendment, unlike other "laws."

Since the Supreme Court has not the Constitutional authority to remove or invalidate any part of the Constitution, your commentary is wrong. Scalia is correct when he states that it is not "this court's place to decide" whether or not the 2nd Amendment is outdated or necessary.

By the way, FredFlash, or Fred von Flash, member of atheisteye.com, I see people on other forums don't answer you either. Seems you have a lack of social skills, namely, the inability to answer direct questions and responses. And when they ban you for spamming, you call them cowards and Nancy Boys for not debating you, yet you never answer their questions.

Not to mention the annoying habit of spam-pasting the same stuff on multiple forums.

You're officially a troll.

By the way, do you have any pics of your Cadillac, or did you just happen upon this site another way? I'm asking because there isn't ONE SINGLE POST from you about your car, or anybody else's car.

Edit:

I found a post of yours that clearly defines you as a statist, elitist gun grabber, FredFlash. Check this out:

#258 26th May 2008
FredFlash
Active Antagonist Join Date: Feb 2006

“The [religious] proclamation of the two former presidents [George Washington and John Adams] recommending fasting and prayer, were of this nature [Proclamations]; they were an assumption of power not warranted by the constitution, or rather prohibited, by the true spirit of the third article of amendments. [Now known as the First Amendment]”

--Saint George Tucker (1803)
Tucker understood, correctly I believe, that the U. S. Constitution granted the government no jurisdiction whatsoever religion. Also, he does not say the "letter" of the Fist Amendment prohibits executive religious recommendations. He says the "spirit" of the First Amendment prohibits religious proclamations.

It must always be kept in mind, when interpreting the First Amendment, that it didn't separate religion from civil authority. The government never had any in the first place.

Also, when interpreting the Second Amendment, one must alway recall that the government was never granted any power whatsoever over 'arms." In retrospect, that was rather foolish. But, that's what they did.

They probably expected us to amend the Constitution to allow the government to control modern instruments of combat (Machine guns, explosives, aircraft, etc.) which common sense says should not be available to the general public.

By the way, scrolling down for the response was rewarding, as you had your big lips handed to you.

Hey all that I care is that if you take my guns, your better bring something bigger and alot of it. F'in LIBS

Frederick T. Slicer is our troll's name. He's all over the internet with this crap. He's an atheist activist trying to argue down religious beliefs, to anyone who will listen.

He also goes by FreddieFriday and FridaySlice on other forums.

Evidently, this is the only subject that Fred knows anything about, anywhere. So if you want to engage him in another topic, you're wasting your time. And he uses the "answer by question" defense if you try to debate him.

Just letting y'all know.

Evidently, this is the only subject that Fred knows anything about, anywhere.

Not sure he actually knows too much about it. He seems to just be obfuscating things as much as possible.

Good work in finding the info about him. Puts his posts and reasoning in perspective...

He has long since proven himself to be nothing more then a troll in this forum who only detracts from the debate and confuses the issue.

His whole "rules of construction" thing is is an exaguration and nothing more then a red herring based largely on his "proof by assertion"...

He intentionally uses vague debate tactics and refuses to directly address any opposing points of view. He only detracts and distracts from any debate, while intentionally inflaming people here.

Because of his continuous flaming and trolling, he frankly doesn't belong on this forum, IMO.

Arguing with him is like beating your head against a brick wall! :Bang

I am tired of his wasting of my time on this forum...

Frederick T. Slicer And he uses the "answer by question" defense if you try to debate him.

Um Correct me if I am wrong, but the Answer by question is they way all liberals debate. They dont have the better answer, just 450 ways to rephrase the question, until they dont even remember what the topic was. and then ask. "Can you please repeat the question"

I really need to read that book, How to speak to a Liberal. That might help some of my confusion

Um Correct me if I am wrong, but the Answer by question is they way all liberals debate. They dont have the better answer, just 450 ways to rephrase the question, until they dont even remember what the topic was. and then ask. "Can you please repeat the question"

I really need to read that book, How to speak to a Liberal. That might help some of my confusion
It never hurts to read one of Ann Coulter's books. Let me know how you like it, maybe I'll order a copy.

Frederick T. Slicer is our troll's name. He's all over the internet with this crap. He's an atheist activist trying to argue down religious beliefs, to anyone who will listen.

He also goes by FreddieFriday and FridaySlice on other forums.

Evidently, this is the only subject that Fred knows anything about, anywhere. So if you want to engage him in another topic, you're wasting your time. And he uses the "answer by question" defense if you try to debate him.

Just letting y'all know.

It never hurts to read one of Ann Coulter's books. Let me know how you like it, maybe I'll order a copy.

My mom and dad said it was pretty good and they read a few. I just havent had the time yet with school. but if my old man did say its good then its worth it.

I haven't read that one, but the earlier books are excellent and well researched. Whether you think her sense of humor enhanced the value of the book or undermines it is a matter of opinion.

When I go shopping in downtown Chicago...

shopping bag.jpg

Is "a well regulated militia" still necessary for the security of the free state?
Nope. However, a standing army is necessary. The fact that we don't have a militia anymore is all the proof one needs that a militia isn't necessary.

Nope. However, a standing army is necessary. The fact that we don't have a militia anymore is all the proof one needs that a militia isn't necessary.
Classic non sequitur, Fred. You really don't know your own favorite topic very well, as Shag pointed out.

A standing army is, in fact, a potential danger to the civil liberties of the citizens. Just look at China, the Khmer Rouge, and the USSR for examples.

I didn't notice anywhere during this discussion the fact that the phrase 'well regulated', at the time of the writing of the 2nd amendment, was understood to mean, roughly, 'well trained'. Certainly not the only reason for the individual right to bear arms, it's one that was thought understandable enough to be mentioned. If you don't have constant access to arms, it's unlikely that you will be comfortable and competent in the handling of them.

And please note that the right to self protection exists from the very beginning. It's simply one of the rights enumerated in the Constitution, not created by such a listing. I've 'carried' most of my life, and my so-called 'permit' now simply makes daily life easier for me.
KS

you have great points, but as for them being comfortable and competent in handling of firearms. Good.... If some one doesnt feel good about them then I dont feel good being around them. Some times its better that some people just stay away.. "If you cant swim, stay out of the damn pool."

I didn't notice anywhere during this discussion the fact that the phrase 'well regulated', at the time of the writing of the 2nd amendment, was understood to mean, roughly, 'well trained'. Certainly not the only reason for the individual right to bear arms, it's one that was thought understandable enough to be mentioned. If you don't have constant access to arms, it's unlikely that you will be comfortable and competent in the handling of them.

And please note that the right to self protection exists from the very beginning. It's simply one of the rights enumerated in the Constitution, not created by such a listing. I've 'carried' most of my life, and my so-called 'permit' now simply makes daily life easier for me.
KS
Well said, I completely agree. What do you carry? I carry a Glock 27 with mag extender.

The States neglect their Militia.

--James Madison during the general convention of 1787 that drew up the U. S. Constitution​

the phrase 'well regulated', at the time of the writing of the 2nd amendment, was understood to mean, roughly, 'well trained'
Did you apply an objective method of interpretation to arrive at that meaning?

Members online

No members online now.
Back