Real quick...Where is cylinders 1 & 3 on the 3.9 V8?

P Rock

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing plugs and VC gaskets. Codes pulled misfires in #'s 1 & 3. Just want to make sure I replace the correct side valve cover / plugs.

Thanks in advance

its the passanger side. the one closest to you is 1 then 2 up is 3. hope this helps. im changing mine out tomorrow. you got a how to for me, never done it b4

The OBDII computer my mechanic hooked it up to said cylinders #1 and #3 is where the misfire was occuring. Luckily for me, they're both on the passenger side as you stated. I was surprised at how EASY it was to get to the coils. Took me 10-15 minutes to pull out the coils (pass side) and I work VERY carefully (slowly). I wasn't planning on fixing the valve cover gaskets just yet, just wanted to see how bad it was leaking. I pulled coils number 1 & 3 first and number 3 was SOAKED with oil but number 1 was dry...hmmm. While I was at it, I pulled numbers 2 & 4 also and they were also soaked! I guess the codes were wrong.

I cleaned the coils and the sparkplug hole with a rag and just put everything back together for now (until I get valve cover gaskets). I drove it and even though I cleaned the oily mess, the car is still missing so I'm thinking somewhere on the other side of the engine (numbers 5-8), there's an oily mess there too :(

Oh well, until I get the gaskets, I don't know how much more difficult the drivers side is.... Let me know how yours' goes.

Question for anyone....how much do I have to clean these coils / wells for it to run normal again? Do I need to replace the coils and/or plugs?

Yeah, it's probable that the misfiring is because the coils are fried. A relatively easy diagnostic routine is to move them to other cylinders to see if the codes follow them--if the codes follow, those COPs are bad and need to be replaced.

Don't drive with the misfire, BTW, because it's dumping raw gas into the catalytic converters, which will eventually kill them, too, and they're not cheap to replace...

P Rock said:
The OBDII computer my mechanic hooked it up to said cylinders #1 and #3 is where the misfire was occuring. Luckily for me, they're both on the passenger side as you stated. I was surprised at how EASY it was to get to the coils. Took me 10-15 minutes to pull out the coils (pass side) and I work VERY carefully (slowly). I wasn't planning on fixing the valve cover gaskets just yet, just wanted to see how bad it was leaking. I pulled coils number 1 & 3 first and number 3 was SOAKED with oil but number 1 was dry...hmmm. While I was at it, I pulled numbers 2 & 4 also and they were also soaked! I guess the codes were wrong.

I cleaned the coils and the sparkplug hole with a rag and just put everything back together for now (until I get valve cover gaskets). I drove it and even though I cleaned the oily mess, the car is still missing so I'm thinking somewhere on the other side of the engine (numbers 5-8), there's an oily mess there too :(

Oh well, until I get the gaskets, I don't know how much more difficult the drivers side is.... Let me know how yours' goes.

Question for anyone....how much do I have to clean these coils / wells for it to run normal again? Do I need to replace the coils and/or plugs?

Well if #1 misfired and it was dry then that one is bad for sure because it misfired without any oil or water in it.

ovsims said:
Well if #1 misfired and it was dry then that one is bad for sure because it misfired without any oil or water in it.

Well the weird thing is, the ECU didn't mention anything was wrong with cylinder #2 and #4 but they were soaked with oil also. The only one it got right was #3. Codes revealed #1, #3 are bad, oil was soaked in 2, 3 ,4.
It didn't say anything about the cylinders on the drivers side (5-8).

The codes were NOT wrong. That doesn't mean the person reading them wasn't.....

Just because they were soaked in oil doesn't mean they had misfired. They probably would have eventually though.

Members online

Back