Read My Plugs?

Paull

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a FNG.
This is the best board for these cars IMO, glad you are all here!
I am an old Thunderbird fan, I have owned 6 of the mn12 cars.
I bring some good knowledge of these cars, particularly chassis and transmission experience.
I have a new car, 96. I started a garage here.
161,000 miles, completely unmolested..
Only missing the cd changer.
I have been tuning up and getting the paint back where it needs to be.
Fourth owner at Least. Loved by first, according to record.
Plug gaps when I pulled them were .100+ :O.
Wires looked 100k used, ran like it too.
Replaced those and air/fuel filter, mostly fixed the rough idle.
No codes no leaks worth mentioning.

I was staring at this picture, and noticed the driver side have markedly MORE degradation to the electrode than the passenger side.

I am interested in opinions of you long time owners, do I need to do anything with the fuel injectors or manifold or ignition system besides plugs and wires, or is it probably ok, and I am just borrowing trouble??
Thanks!
Paul
full plug 70 percent.jpg

Last edited:
I was staring at this picture, and noticed the driver side have markedly MORE degradation to the electrode than the passenger side.
View attachment 828570073

rumor is that the factory plugs were only plated on either the tip or the strap.
because of the coil setup, one side of the engine wore the tip, and one side wore the strap.
is it true? idk, but the wear is not a major cause for concern at this time.

rumor is that the factory plugs were only plated on either the tip or the strap.
because of the coil setup, one side of the engine wore the tip, and one side wore the strap.
is it true? idk, but the wear is not a major cause for concern at this time.
Interesting idea. Perhaps the ECU runs one coil in a 'high' digital signal and then the other coil in a 'low' digital signal. A positive bias versus a negative bias on a coil could affect the origination of the spark if it's a signal going from a median to a high or low output.

Interesting idea. Perhaps the ECU runs one coil in a 'high' digital signal and then the other coil in a 'low' digital signal. A positive bias versus a negative bias on a coil could affect the origination of the spark if it's a signal going from a median to a high or low output.

its even simpler than that.
there are only 4 coils for 8 plugs.
ford called it Wasted Spark.
the current goes in side, and out the other.

^ Correct. Two plugs fire in pairs, one on combustion and another on exhaust to supposedly help burn any unspent fuel vapor. It was deemed an emission thing.

Also you should all recall that the OEM plugs were not the same on each side. I forget the exact difference, but one side had blue markings and the other side yellow. Might have something to do with what chris2523 said. But we do know the plugs were not the same.

Members online

Back