Rattling noise under car?

601hotboy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I had my car put on a lift this morning, to investigate a rattling noise.... I was told its in the Torque converter near the Tranny.... Has anyone had a problem with this? And would it be expensive to replace. All insights would be appreciated.

Your torque converter is inside your transmission. I've never heard of a rattling torque converter, which I imagine would probably cause very noticable vibrations while driving if it or something inside of it was loose. Your car would have to be running on the lift for them to have heard this.

Your catalytic converters are near / beside your transmission and part of the exhaust system. They do rattle when the honeycomb-like structures inside wear out and come loose or if the heat shields around them are loose. The rattle would be annoying, but would not affect driveability. This could be found on the lift with your car running or possibly with it not running and simply hitting against them with a rubber hammer.

I imagine they meant one of your catalytic convertors was rattling and one of your 'cats' really are meowing at you. ;) If that is your problem they are under factory warranty for 8 years / 80,000 miles.

I had this exact same problem, I knew it was the converter from the get go but the tranny shop tried to tell me it was the cats. So I took it to the exhaust shop and they said it was my tranny. SO the transmission shop insisted it was the flex plate and replaced it. Needless to say it didn't fix the noise so they ate the cost. I took it back and told them to replace the torque converter, after that the noise has not come back.

MY 2000 HAD THE same NOISE and it was the converter... Never replaced it but it made lots of noise at idle

It's not possible for a torque converter to rattle unless there is something physically wrong with it (something broken inside). The likely hood of that happening is pretty low. The flex-plate (what the torque converter is mounted to on the back of the engine) can become cracked due to heat and an abusive driving style. That would exhibit a clicking noise (sounds like a sticky lifter) but it wouldn't really rattle. But that is again, pretty unlikely to happen.

One of the catalytic converters is the probably problem. And you can test them by tapping them on the bottom a few times with a rubber mallet.

I'm telling you, it rattled and it was the converter. I have also heard of a few others having the same problem with converters on the LS.

IM having the same issue now i have 70k miles, when im at a stop light or on park it trembless/vibrates and i hear a loud noise, if i then start moving the car it goes away or it seems like it does, this bothers the hell out of me. well i should of gotten that extended warrenty.

IM having the same issue now i have 70k miles, when im at a stop light or on park it trembless/vibrates and i hear a loud noise, if i then start moving the car it goes away or it seems like it does, this bothers the hell out of me. well i should of gotten that extended warrenty.

that sounds more like a coil on it's way out. that would be the preferable of the two in this situation to fix

i had coil problems before and this does not feel like a coil problem but it did cross my mind and the difference is the rattling noise and the vibration i feel it on the center console when the coils go bad the whole car shakes.

similiar issues

my 2000 ls with 98000 miles is doing the same thing. even the slightest bump makes a rattling noise under the front end. sway bar bushings? catalytic converter? hub bearing? still need help...

Members online

No members online now.
Back