Random Unexplainable Smoke?

It could have very well been, that's what I originally thought because how fast the smoke flew by the front of my car until I saw it on the driver side. That's what began the concern. If it was from a passing car, why would it have lingered near by my car for a few seconds?

It could have been smoke trapped under the hood. That is if the car was smoking significantly. If it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry too much.

Yes... but judging smoke,from inside the car,is tough to pinpoint. Mine would smoke somedays...others not, no rhyme or reason... Check to make sure oil's in it, then drive until you see it again

Yes... but judging smoke,from inside the car,is tough to pinpoint. Mine would smoke somedays...others not, no rhyme or reason... Check to make sure oil's in it, then drive until you see it again

Okay, i'll do that! I'll be driving in about 10 minutes, so I'll check the oil than get going. I'll report back what happens.

This is all great advise........I've had both my calipers stick on my F150. The wheel will go so hot you couldn't even touch it. Also have you added any oil to say "top it off" lately. Also check to make sure no wire loom is near the manifolds.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you were driving a Toyota.

UPDATE: Thanks for all the great advice guys!

Rell, LS, and Steve - So I just drove 5 miles or so, with no smoke. I did the "break test" that you told me to do at 30 mph, and no smoke or pull. Also touched the wheels as soon as I got out of the car (car still running) and the wheels were not even hot, a little warm but the same temp. on both sides.

ok, here ya go

on my V6, on the back of the intake manifold is a round valve. On the V8 there are two valves stacked one over the other (i believe). Over time the round rubber gasket gets weak and lets drops of oil spill out and drop on the hot manifold causing the smoke. Look on the manifold near the rear of the engine, you will see white marks from where the oil has burned up. replace the gasket or cover the old gasket with sealant and push it back in.

Maybe a leprechaun is hiding under there smoking.....

0511-0802-0618-4219_Leprechaun_Smoking_a_Pipe_clipart_image.jpg

than dont worry...if its a problem it will come back lol

on my V6, on the back of the intake manifold is a round valve. On the V8 there are two valves stacked one over the other (i believe). Over time the round rubber gasket gets weak and lets drops of oil spill out and drop on the hot manifold causing the smoke. Look on the manifold near the rear of the engine, you will see white marks from where the oil has burned up. replace the gasket or cover the old gasket with sealant and push it back in.

Check under the hood and see if there is smoke there.

Thanks for all the advise guys!

Steve - I did that twice, no smoke coming from under the hood either

The V8 does not have the runner valves.

drive it an check for smoking... then CAREFULLY see it any wheel is hotter than another....

Smoke could also be a Valve cover leak or oil fill tube leak... Mine did both and had smoke come from the front of the car.

Didn't you buy this car from someone in your family??? seems like a lot of problems with it

I would agree! There has been allot of posts with issues with the car.

UPDATE: Hey everyone! Thanks again for all your help! I drove about 25 miles today (highway and city) and the random smoke has not reappeared. Yay!! If it reappears I will post again and see if there's anymore details I can give to pinpoint if there's a problem. Thanks guys! Here's a quick iPhone shot of my LS today, it's too beautiful of a day in Florida to not take a picture!

reaper - It wasn't properly maintained, so I have had a lot of "catching up" to do

MyLS-1.jpg

'Random' smoke is just that, random. Become interested when it's not random or when something unusual happens. Use all of your five senses when driving or walking around the car and you'll find 99% of problems pretty quickly (although I don't advise licking your car in public)...

Members online

Back