Random no starts

Cams-76

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Every once in a while my 2000 v8 ls will not turn over. I'll turn the key and nothing at all. After waiting and turning the key multiple times it will turnover with plenty of battery power. Battery terminals and wires are clean. I'm thinking ignition or starter solenoid? Thank you

Pull the starter relay and reseat it, look for corrosion on the contacts, if not that then may possibly be the Park/Neutral safety switch sticking with the colder weather.
Just went through this with my wife's car this past week, starter was fine. Next time it does that, try moving the shift lever back and forth see if that resolves a start.
See if it will turn over when you place it in neutral. If stranded and all else fails, put key in run position and jam a screw driver in between the contacts on the starter. (make sure no fuel leaks nearby)

I'm assuming you have bright headlights when this happens. May also try knocking the starter housing with a hammer while someone else turns it over.

fun fun fun.

What's the PATS light doing when you try to start it and it won't?

The pats light is an anti theft light? What light is this? I can't remember seeing this? Car is my girlfriends daily driver so this no start happens to her mostly but has happened to me when driving the car before

its the red light that blinks at times dead center on top of the dash...

Members online

No members online now.
Back