Random Misfire + O2 Sensor Signal Stuck

SeaPro

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I went to start my 05 V6 with 180k. It was cold outside.

It started fine but immediately began to randomly misfire and jump rpms. The misfiring is the worst I've seen it, throwing codes for 4 different cylinders. It's also throwing codes for 02 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean Bank 1 and 2.

I've noticed it's taking a long time to warm up, but once it does (say 20 minutes later) it runs fine. No issues at all. This is only happening during a cold start.

Attached is a video of my cold start. Please excuse my seat belt warning chime. I don't touch the gas until 40 seconds in. Just did that to illustrate it revs up fine.
[video=youtube;CRoxU5XgmE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRoxU5XgmE4[/video]

After a few searches I've narrowed it down to a vacuum leak and maybe bad PCV valve. Could these be the case and go away once the engine is warmed up? Any other ideas before I pull out the credit card?

Thank you.

(Why do I own two of these cars... )

Reasonable theory, AFAIK.
Age of coils and plugs?

I was hoping you wouldn't say that... Plugs are brand new, maybe 5000km ago. Coils are an unknown. I did remove the upper intake manifold to replace one on the right side a while ago ($130 from ford each and they only had one). I reused the gasket, i'm thinking that may be leaking now. That was 10000km ago though.

I've got some carb cleaner I'll spray around tomorrow.

I know this is a dead horse, but can coils be bad during a cold start then work absolutely fine?

I noticed the rubbers around the top of the coils are deteriorated a bit. Also, water loved to collect on top of the coil packs on my v6. There is considerable staining from dried water.
Funny enough, I'm getting misfires on all cylinders EXCEPT the one whose coil I changed a few months ago. I'm thinking that with the change in temperature at night there's condensation occurring in the coil housing and given the high voltage it's probably shorting out.

I also ordered new intake manifold gaskets and a pcv valve just in case. I'm hoping these do the trick.

I foolishly bought a second ls a few months ago, 03 with a v8. I'm currently rebuilding the cooling system on that one lol... $$$

Members online

Back