Rain Sensing Wipers

Thanks for all the responses folks! Sounds like too much of a pain and possibly not worth the effort. I have 05'LS, and haven't noticed the ice melt off my mirror when I turn on rear defrost. How can I have that checked, it doesn't seem like it works.

Also, are the wipers supposed to go once when you turn on the car when it is in auto position? It's a little annoying, but I've grown to live with it. It doesn't happen on my mom's lexus, so it seemed odd. Is it calibrating it or something? Or are my wipers broken.

No they automatically do it to remind you that they are on i think. One thing is annoying and that is, if you do have it on auto, you open the door to turn the car on, while you brush it off, but you forget the auto function is on, and theres snow on the windshield they push the snow off the window, right onto the inside of you door. you learn to turn it off when you park in the winter time.

I had rain sensing wipers on my 03 LS, and the wife's Lexus IS250 has them now. I liked the system on my 03 LS, but I'll admit the performance was erratic. The Lexus has it working right, though.... its what the LS shoulda been.

I even had to convince the dealer that the car had heated mirrors in the first place. They tried to tell me it didn't!

I had a similar argument with a service bozo at an Infiniti dealer a few years ago. He insisted that our G20 didn't have heated mirrors. I proposed a little wager on the issue: I proposed to have him research it, and that I would pay double the service costs if I was wrong. On the other hand, I would pay nothing if he was wrong. Predictably, he wimped out and didn't take the bet.

i have 2000 LS and mine work fine. not as great in the snow but i like them. saves me from having to fiddle with the speed when i'm changing speed. but mine also has the option to either be in auto mode, off, or i can choose the speed... don't have to disconnect anything to turn off the rain sensing option. just set it to off.

No they automatically do it to remind you that they are on i think. One thing is annoying and that is, if you do have it on auto, you open the door to turn the car on, while you brush it off, but you forget the auto function is on, and theres snow on the windshield they push the snow off the window, right onto the inside of you door. you learn to turn it off when you park in the winter time.

YEA! that bothers me lol. i do that constantly. and get so pissed at myself everytime.

i have 2000 LS and mine work fine.
but mine also has the option to either be in auto mode, off, or i can choose the speed... don't have to disconnect anything to turn off the rain sensing option. just set it to off.
2nd Gen auto-wipers don't work like that. You either get the rain-sensing operator or the interval/intermittent setting. You can't have both while the rain sensor is active.

Why do you open the door to turn the car on.
Normally, I do that when the car is covered in ice or snow. I open the door and start the car without getting in the car so it can warm up while I'm clearing it.

2nd Gen auto-wipers don't work like that. You either get the rain-sensing operator or the interval/intermittent setting. You can't have both while the rain sensor is active.

HA! score one for Gen 1 LS! Finally!
(only 9000000 more til we even up)

Seems like different years have different features.
My 04 had fast, slow, and 3 rain settings with no intermittent.
None of the rain settings were sensitive enough for my liking.
I read in the manual that they were more sensitive at night so I put a piece of dark tint film over the sensor which made a noticeable improvement.
After I pulled the plug on the sensor the wipers reverted to regular intermittent operation probably as a failsafe by design and I was happier with that.
I figure I could probably put in a toggle switch and have both rain sensitive and regular intermittent but didn't bother.
In that link I posted above they talk about an aftermarket system that sells for 349.00 and evidently works well so those that want the rain sensitivity badly enough can go with that.

Members online

Back