Rain problem - success! ??

Lincoln LS

1. gal54uk

gal54uk LVC Member

I have a 2004 Lincoln LS V8 sport. For a long time I have had a problem with water in the trunk. Solved (?) this by drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the trunk. Anyway, just recently had several days of heavy rain. Car wouldn't start. Engine would not turn over. The only light on the dash was the air bag light. Battery OK. Remote operated the door locks ok. Reset the PCM by jumping the +ve battery terminal with the negative cable. Now got more dash lights and engine would turn over but not start. Left it for a day with the windows all open and battery disconnected. Now it started and runs OK. Discovered that engine revs are limited to 3000 rpm when in park. Never knew that before. But now I need to do something to stop it happening again. Water in trunk is obviously not good. I have a moonroof that leaks water onto the A pillar. The trunk lid seal seems OK. Is there a drain from the rear of the moonroof that is getting into the trunk?

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

There are two moonroof drains in the trunk, one on each side, near the rear bumper. Pull back the interior trunk trim, and you can't miss them.
    The A pillar leak is more likely to be the one that is causing your electronics failure. On the driver's side, it will leak down into the FEM. It won't take getting wet too many times before it fails permanently.
    You have to partially drop the headliner and reconnect the four drain tubes to the moonroof. Often, you have to splice in a short piece of hose (3/8" tubing couplers work for this) at each corner. The factory hose seems to shrink and pull away. Anyway, there are a few threads about this on here. Use Google advanced search to find them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • AmsterDutch

AmsterDutch Dedicated LVC Member

Agree with Joe 100% ...also after dropping down the headliner you can be reassured by blowing/shooting pressurized air down the drain tubes to be sure they are free off debris...why rust out your trunk? Just fix with the proper procedure as Joegr stated

• AmsterDutch

AmsterDutch Dedicated LVC Member

12 Step Sunroof Repair How-to
      Step 2. Remove the headliner. I didn't get a good pic of this but its pretty easy. Pull all 4 corner pillar trims off, the trims where the seatbelts attach, all 4 oh crap handles and the sunvisors and clips. The visors will hang by their wire which you can't unplug until you drop the liner down and you can get them. There is a plug glued on both corners of the headliner and you have to disconnect them there. The only thing left holding the liner is heavy duty velcro around the headliner