Radio Swap

colel83

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a 2001 LS. It really is an awesome car. I have a question about factory radios though. I have the 6 CD in dash changer (non-Alpine) radio, but some of the buttons don't work. The backward Tune and Seek buttons don't work along with the 5 and 6 preset buttons. Anyways I was wondering if I have to replace it with another 6 cd changer or if the factory casette radio would work instead (there are a few on ebay for only $25). the connectors on the back look close but can't tell if they are exact. I only listen to the radio or my ipod and I thought it would be easier to use a casette adapter for my ipod than an fm transmitter. I want to keep the factory look, so I don't want to put in an aftermarket radio.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
cole

It all depends on the radio. You are right that the plugs might look the same and I might need to be corrected but not all LS's were amplified so the wiring in the car would be different. I don't know what a repair shop would charge for labor on top of parts but I would guess in the 50-100 range to repair the radio you have. And that is of course you pulling it out of the vehicle yourself. So if you can find one on ebay for 25 dollars that might not be a bad idea. Just make sure you check with the seller to see if the radio is locked and if so if they have the unlock code. A dealer could easily charge 25 to unlock it, and thats a "nice" price.

As long as you replace it with a non-Alpine you're fine. I went the other way; cassette with trunk mounted CD changer to the 6-disc in dash changer.

any radio that is not THX should work. the thx's use an amp in the trunk. other than the thx, the only amp is for the optional factory sub that the car should be wired for anyway. you will need a radio from a pre 03 (the plugs changed mid year)

I dont know about other years, but the 2000 with the audiophile system had 2 external amps, one in the trunk, and one by the steering column.

any radio that is not THX should work. the thx's use an amp in the trunk. other than the thx, the only amp is for the optional factory sub that the car should be wired for anyway. you will need a radio from a pre 03 (the plugs changed mid year)

Not so. You can only replace with-in (2000-2002 and 2003-2006) years Alpine to Alpine and non-Alpine to non-Alpine.

Not so. You can only replace with-in (2000-2002 and 2003-2006) years Alpine to Alpine and non-Alpine to non-Alpine.

So then why was i able to directly plug in an 03 silver non-alpine 6 disc in to my 2000 with an alpine cassette player

Members online

No members online now.
Back