Radiator replacement

Vicotoria Bailey

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey! Ok so I have my 2000 lincoln ls v8. I need to replace the radiator. Can anyone tell me step by step of this process, if possible maybe even pics or a video would help. i ofcourse have never done it but am willing to try it. My husband wouldn't know where to start either. Please help. Thanks in advance!:)

Good point. Hadn't thought about that site being gen II specific. I have a gen 1 manual here in PDF form. Let me grab some screen caps:

H2D8Y.png

lITEJ.png

zpvEI.png

zZe1T.png

DSriI.png

dRnvZ.png

one question, im trying to get this car home we had to park it in a lot because it was overheating, my husband put water in the degas bottle yesterday and it drove about 2 or 3 miles and we've got like 6 more to go to get home where we can get the radiator replaced. i found online where it points out the engine fill which i knew yesterday but we did not have the tool to open. on the instructions it says to fill it with coolant, will it be ok to fill it with water since i just have to drive it home? i'd hate to put coolant in and have it leak out then have to buy more when we get it replaced. Please help. Thank you

Tools to open? It's just a plastic cap. You unscrew it like you unscrew any plastic cap. Filling it with water is okay to just get it home but it's not a good long-term solution.

we got the car home! my brother is going to look at it today while im at work! i left all your directions you gave me just incase he needed them. thanks everyone!!!

ok my brother changed out the radiator, now its making a loud noise. i did notice the engine cooling fan fluid reservior is exteremly low. do you think that would be the reason for the noise it wasnt making that noise before. what do i put in this reservior to put it at the fill line?

ok my brother changed out the radiator, now its making a loud noise. i did notice the engine cooling fan fluid reservior is exteremly low. do you think that would be the reason for the noise it wasnt making that noise before. what do i put in this reservior to put it at the fill line?

Mercon V. You need to fill it and you may have to purge the air from the system. You don't want to run it like this and damage the pump and/or motor.

Thanks! I'm glad I was scared to drive it this morning since its making that weird noise hopefully this fixes it. Thanks again!

just thought I'd update this, putting the ATF fixed the noise issue, so far so good, its not running hot or anything :D thx everyone!

stupid car overheated again today :( wish i could just throw it away. i don't know what it could be anymore

stupid car overheated again today :( wish i could just throw it away. i don't know what it could be anymore

Why did you think it was the radiator?

It is common for the degas bottle to crack. If you haven't replaced it recently, you probably need to. The plastic cooling system parts at the front of the engine are also known to crack.

The hydraulic cooling fan is another known weakness. If it doesn't jump up to high speed when you turn the AC on, it has a problem.

well the radiator had a crack and was leaking so i knew it was that, i didnt find any cracks on the degas bottle. im thinking i need to just take it to someone who knows how to bleed the air out really good, i dont think i did it right

well the radiator had a crack and was leaking so i knew it was that, i didnt find any cracks on the degas bottle. im thinking i need to just take it to someone who knows how to bleed the air out really good, i dont think i did it right

You may or may not see any cracks. The cracks usually appear where you can't see them unless you remove the bottle. Even then they are probably hairline cracks that are difficult to see. Your car is at least 12 years old, the degas bottle definitely needs to be replaced!

Sorry if its a dumb question but I followed directions to a T but for the life of me I can't figure out how to disconnect the high pressure line going to the fan... My wrench won't fit an when I finally got the wrench on, I started stripping it even when using the correct size.

I cracked my radiator when I hit a pot hole and need to get this fixed quickly.

Members online

Back