Radiator Replacement

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Replaced climate control valve not that long ago. Topped off fluid yesterday and today the radiator went. Figured it would soon. Buying OEM from Tasca as well as a new drain plug. Anything else that should be replaced when doing so? Noticed they sell the rubber grommets for the brackets not sure if those really go bad. Rest of my system is about 4-5yrs old. The aux pump I believe is the only thing left original besides a few hoses off of the climate control.

Ended up getting a carquest radiator for $130. No OEM left in the US at the moment.

Install issues - what a PITA! There is no way to get the GENII radiator out because the mounts are directly in the way of the A/C condensor lines. If you manage to bend the lines as hard as you can out of the way it may be possible to remove from the top but dont see how it will go back in. I am not sure how some removed it from the bottom?! I am resorting to disconnecting the lines to the condensor and pulling through the top. Not sure if the condensor itself has to come out or how it does to begin with. Looked at the install manual and youtube install for GENII and neither said a word about the condensor lines being in the way smh..

Last edited:
I took mine to a shop for the radiator to use their hoist and did it from the bottom, i believe that's the preferred method. I didn't see it getting done in my driveway from the bottom, but it might be possible if you have enough blocks and jacks, ha!

Actually now that I'm thinking about it more I think they did it from the top but did disconnect my lines, they sucked the freon all out first and then put it back in later. I told them to do it from the bottom but he thought that way was easier, prolly is with an AC machine i guess.

I pulled it from the top mainly because I couldn't get the car high enough.

It has to come out at an angle (diagonally vertical wise) from the top.

I didn't want to mess with the condenser or tranny cooler. The main issue was getting the brackets on the radiator to clear everything.

Don't remember exactly how I did it... but I think I pulled the aux pump and DCCV first... and some of the hoses.

I didn't have to mess with the A/C.

Wish I could remember how I did it. I intended on doing a "write up" on how to get it out from the top... but got so focused I forgot.

Yea too late to get it up high dont think that is happening from the bottom. DCCV & AUX pump are not in the way it seems. It is simply the brackets not clearing the lines. Yes I see it needs to come out on an angle. Looks like you have to push the lines as far out as possible to get the brackets past which might be possible but getting it in would be another story. Looks much easier to just disconnect the lines. Thought this would be an easy job for once lol

From the bottom was easy. You don't have to disconnect any lines (other than the two radiator hoses). Slight bending of some brackets was required.

Carquest radiator is in, it looked "exact" compared to OEM. I did not measure the outlets but when putting the hoses back on it seems they were either a bit swollen and/or the new radiator outlets are smaller. Probably both.. With the spring clamps tight you can easily turn the hoses by hand. No clamp they will just fall off.. The upper hose is worse than the lower. Hoses are about 4yrs old, debating on replacing them before I fill it back up.. Had to grab worm gear clamps from the hardware store for a tight seal otherwise they will just blow off.. Im guessing the new radiator outlets are a bit smaller because the hoses were stuck on well to the OEM radiator without the clamps. Not sure if the swelling is normal with age, maybe the orignal cap is bad, the degas never came with a new one, the OEM thermastat went bad a year ago (stuck open).

As far as removal. There is literally NO way to remove the radiator from the top at least on 05 v8 without cutting it up or disconnecting the condensor to move the lines which once done is easy. Once removed the lines are out of the way of the radiator brackets. After removing things such as the lovely alternator (rather sell the car the have to do that again) I cannot see any way to remove the radiator otherwise from the top. Condensor looked badly beaten in and bent up so I replaced it along with a new drier "while I was in there". Sure the LSE bumper does no help that. Decided to order the AUX pump being its the last piece of the original system remaining since the DCCV went just a month ago.. Also did the belt itself. Hopefully the mini cooler in between the condensor and radiator holds up for a while longer as I do not want to be back.. debating on ordering new hoses (forget the cost) which probably puts this around a $500-$600 job (radiator/condensor/drier/belt/aux pump/DCCV) and I still have to have the refrigerant refilled.. Could have just gotten the cheapest radiator went to walmart and called it a day but do not feel like removing it all again. At least the labor is always free=)

Now after all that I hope the temperature does not increase and the radiator isn't doorman quality... no other option as OEM is unavailable with no ETA. Will report back if it cracks in the middle of winter in the middle of nowhere.

**Guess the pictures would not load.

Hoses do swell with age..
and it is very possible that the aftermarket radiator had smaller necks on it.

I know I pulled mine from the top (again... couldn't get the car high enough) but don't remember how i did it. But I know I didn't have to cut or separate anything on the A/C.

I do think I pulled the DCCV and Aux pump out completely... and somehow got it past the lines and frame (at an angle???)

It's been too long ago. (shrug)

Carquest radiator is in, it looked "exact" compared to OEM. I did not measure the outlets but when putting the hoses back on it seems they were either a bit swollen and/or the new radiator outlets are smaller. Probably both.. With the spring clamps tight you can easily turn the hoses by hand. No clamp they will just fall off.. The upper hose is worse than the lower. Hoses are about 4yrs old, debating on replacing them before I fill it back up.. Had to grab worm gear clamps from the hardware store for a tight seal otherwise they will just blow off.. Im guessing the new radiator outlets are a bit smaller because the hoses were stuck on well to the OEM radiator without the clamps. Not sure if the swelling is normal with age, maybe the orignal cap is bad, the degas never came with a new one, the OEM thermastat went bad a year ago (stuck open).

As far as removal. There is literally NO way to remove the radiator from the top at least on 05 v8 without cutting it up or disconnecting the condensor to move the lines which once done is easy. Once removed the lines are out of the way of the radiator brackets. After removing things such as the lovely alternator (rather sell the car the have to do that again) I cannot see any way to remove the radiator otherwise from the top. Condensor looked badly beaten in and bent up so I replaced it along with a new drier "while I was in there". Sure the LSE bumper does no help that. Decided to order the AUX pump being its the last piece of the original system remaining since the DCCV went just a month ago.. Also did the belt itself. Hopefully the mini cooler in between the condensor and radiator holds up for a while longer as I do not want to be back.. debating on ordering new hoses (forget the cost) which probably puts this around a $500-$600 job (radiator/condensor/drier/belt/aux pump/DCCV) and I still have to have the refrigerant refilled.. Could have just gotten the cheapest radiator went to walmart and called it a day but do not feel like removing it all again. At least the labor is always free=)

Now after all that I hope the temperature does not increase and the radiator isn't doorman quality... no other option as OEM is unavailable with no ETA. Will report back if it cracks in the middle of winter in the middle of nowhere.

**Guess the pictures would not load.
My hat comes off to you nghtshd88 ....its like 04 sport always says 20lbs. of Crap in a 5lbs. Sack
Good job on the radiator swap

Done this job on my 2000 v8 and it was a pain.

I just broke the old one on its way out, but to install the new one I had to cut down some pieces off the plastic mounts and rounded off the bottom foots cause the a/c lines were in the way..
Obviously not professional and it probably could of went it easier if I had taken the time to remove the hydraulic fan and shroud and stuff.

Carquest radiator working well. Running between 192-194 degrees. If it blows ill report back.

Members online

No members online now.
Back