Radiator fan question

myfirstls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Aloha guys. I did some search but couldn't find what I was looking for so here we go.

Does the fan goes to high when you turn on the AC even if the coolant temp is low/cold? Or does it stay on low speed?

Can't remember how it was. hate getting old. I just worked on my AC recently and can't remember....................

It goes to high when the car isn't moving if the engine gets very warm, or if the high side AC pressure starts getting high.

OK. I drove the car for a bit, engine temp at normal, turn on the AC high but no high speed. Did I lose my high speed? IS it the motor? I just look/search all over the net but can't find any OEM fan or the motor, new. Is aftermarket only choice I have, other than evilbay used?

I spend too much money to give up on this car, but I may have to, soon.....................

I forget. Is your LS Gen 1 or Gen 2? By your symptoms, it sounds like the fan controller went bad.

If Gen 1, you have the hydraulic fan system... of which parts are still available and repairable.

There are a few threads on here about how to test and fix that.

If Gen 2... the fan controller is electric, and the controller is part of the fan assembly, and not sold separately.

At this point other members have bought an aftermarket fan kit, (which doesn't move as much air as the OEM assembly), or found a working used fan assembly from a junkyard.

OK. I drove the car for a bit, engine temp at normal, turn on the AC high but no high speed. Did I lose my high speed? IS it the motor? I just look/search all over the net but can't find any OEM fan or the motor, new. Is aftermarket only choice I have, other than evilbay used?

I spend too much money to give up on this car, but I may have to, soon.....................
Before you throw [wrong] parts at it, do some diagnosis.
Put a gauge on the high side AC port. What is the pressure? If it's not high enough, the fan will never speed up.

What is the air temperature coming out of the AC vents (AC temp on min) while driving 50+ MPH?
(Note that the fan does not even run when going above a certain speed. Probably around 25 MPH)

Thanks guys. I recently refreshed my AC unit (aftermarket compressor went bad, replaced with Motorcraft unit) and recharged it, so I doubt it but I'll check on my next day-off. I did charged it according to the repair manual, but maybe there was a leak somewhere? Only thing I disconnected was the line/manifold that goes on the compressor, but like I mentioned, I'll check on it.

AC was working super cold when I replaced the compressor but it quit all of a sudden. I mean one morning I went to work, it worked perfectly, and that same afternoon, it quit. It wasn't like it slowly got warm. It just quit that day.

Anyway, I'll check on it and let you guys know. Thanks.

...Only thing I disconnected was the line/manifold that goes on the compressor, but like I mentioned, I'll check on it.
You didn't replace the dryer? Shame on you...

When you evacuated it, how long did you watch to make sure that it held full vacuum after you turned the pump off?

Getting old has it's bite. Yeah, I was going to change it and forgot to get it the same time I ordered the compressor. Anyway, it was working fine as I mentioned. I parked it in the morning, after work that afternoon, it stopped working.

As far as the evacuation, it held vacuum for another 15+ minutes or so. I went to work on my bike and when I came back, it still held full vacuum.

Anyway, I'll go back on Saturday to see what the pressure reading will be.

Finally took a pressure reading. High side is little low at around 125-130, low side was bit low as well. But compressor is not cycling and clutch is engaged while I was taking the reading.

Since it's little on low side, I'm planning to add some gas into it. Still no high fan though.

I don't think that you would get hi-fan at those pressures.
Working AC without hi-fan would be well over 220.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back