Rack & Pinion recommendation

Broseph

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I might be in for a new R&P. I have a rubber on metal like creaking sound when turning the wheel at slow speeds or stopped. Replaced upper control arm and still have issue. All other components were replaced in last five years (20k miles tops).

Anyway, if replacing fluid doesn't help I'm guessing inner tie rod or something else is bad and the cost to fix is probably close if not more than doing the whole rack at home.

Any recommendations on remans that have a track record (3-5 yrs)? Ford wants close to $500 on Rockauto, which means Dealer is $800+

I don't have an answer to your actual question, but I do suggest that you spray some lube on the two U-joints of the steering intermediate shaft, to eliminate them as a possibility first.

I don't have an answer to your actual question, but I do suggest that you spray some lube on the two U-joints of the steering intermediate shaft, to eliminate them as a possibility first.

Thanks, Joegr. I thought of that as a possibility, but remember reading that to be a popping/creaking noise so I figured something else. Mine is like rubbing a dry palm on a clean and dry hood.

But, your suggestion won't hurt to test out just in case. IIRC, Is the Universal joint part of a recall?

Sorry, no recall on that, and I think it is a pretty rare problem. In my case, it was a rubbing sound.
Be careful not to spray any lube onto the shaft going into the rack.

If you lube the U-joints and the sound is still there, then spray some lube on the shaft entering the top of the rack. You have to spray below the dirt shield disc on the shaft. If this resolves the noise, then it is the top seal on the input shaft of the rack causing the noise. It should be replaceable (or just lube it every few months).

Sor
Sorry, no recall on that, and I think it is a pretty rare problem. In my case, it was a rubbing sound.
Be careful not to spray any lube onto the shaft going into the rack.

If you lube the U-joints and the sound is still there, then spray some lube on the shaft entering the top of the rack. You have to spray below the dirt shield disc on the shaft. If this resolves the noise, then it is the top seal on the input shaft of the rack causing the noise. It should be replaceable (or just lube it every few months).

Sorry, I don't follow. You say to not spray shaft going into rack, but then say to spray it if the sound doesn't change on upper joint. Is the warning not to spray the shaft just for helping locate the source?

Also, which type lube is best -lithium, silicon, wd40/pd blaster?

... Is the warning not to spray the shaft just for helping locate the source?

Also, which type lube is best -lithium, silicon, wd40/pd blaster?

That's correct, just to help isolate what part is the problem.
Silicon or lithium should be good (silicon may penetrate better). I wouldn't use WD40 or PB Blaster as those may wash out the grease that should be there.

Members online

Back